Master Collection 2 - What Do You Think?

Discussion in 'Buildbox General Discussion' started by Christoph, Dec 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thatguyminib

thatguyminib Serious Boxer

@Kbr954 Yes if you pay the master collection price outright then you no longer have to pay monthly.

@swiftcurrent hmm I may have to grab Hexels then lol. I tried the trial a while back and was very impressed. Also, Soundbox got me hyped as well lol. I was hoping the price at the end would be affordable so I could just stay up all night messing with it lol.

2. Kbr954

Kbr954 Boxer

"Yes if you pay the master collection price outright then you no longer have to pay monthly." But after a year passes, then what? No more payments, or do pay $2675 again?

3. hanshn

hanshn Boxer

I remember there was a similarly price for Buildbox 1. But when Buildbox 2 came you have to pay for this. So I think if we buy the collection now we also have to pay for updates in the future.

4. VectologyGames

VectologyGames Serious Boxer

Yes, Master Collection seems waaaaay to experimental and needs to be played with to find the proper place in your workflow. Dropping over 2K is a bit steep.

5. thatguyminib

thatguyminib Serious Boxer

Yeah, 2K is steep especially if they do intend on targeting indies. Would be better if they released the software individually that way if you only needed one then you don't have to pay for all, that is just my opinion though.

6. Buildbox

Buildbox Administrator

Hi Kbr954, when you purchase Buildbox Master Collection 2, you will receive all the software mentioned on the event (Buildbox 2, Buildbox 3, Animationbox 2, Soundbox 2, Voxelbox and Pixelbox) with full pay licenses. That means you own the licenses to these products, and you will not pay any extra cost, subscription amounts, or fees.

To be clear, if a completely new version came out, like Buildbox 4, then you would have to pay a discounted upgrade fee to get the new version. Any updates to the product, like Buildbox 3.5 for example, you would get for free.

7. Fernandooo69

Fernandooo69 Boxer

If I bought the monthly payment subscription and im still paying it can I get these new pieces of software? If not then how? Thanks

8. Kbr954

Kbr954 Boxer

BB Moderator, really? Then I say hurray! For what I can see you are getting, it's a hell of a deal!!! Damn! Will think about it a little overnight and probably order it between Friday-Monday. Thanks for an excellent reply!

9. Kbr954

Kbr954 Boxer

One more question: I see ordering it requires a credit card. I can pay that way, but for a few reasons, would MUCH rather not. Can I pay by way of transferring money from my checking account or funds transfer from bank?

10. Jollydo

Jollydo Boxer

@Astro Games You are a hero for recording the event. Here in Europe (Netherlands) the event was at 2 o'clock at night, i had to sleep :) Thanks!

11. Jollydo

Jollydo Boxer

@Christoph I totally agree with you. Applause for your post!

12. M9 Games

M9 Games Boxer

I totally agree with this. I am not a fan of this style of selling at all. Trying to fool me into thinking I'm getting $100,000,00 is just an old con and surely doesn't still work in 2017? Obviously does, to some regard. I remember when initially subscribing to Buildbox and seeing the $100,000,00 of free assets page with the pushy marketing video - This just made me think "Is this a con?".

Buildbox is a very good piece of software. I wish the developers just concentrated on that, and that alone. Fix the bugs, add new features, keep ahead of the gaming curve. Steer clear of the sleazy marketing and let Buildbox sell itself on the merit of fast development and the great top games on the App Stores.

Making more software that devs up to this point really didn't need and then charging high prices is odd. Makes me feel Buildbox development is not a priority and makes me question if I'm investing each month in quality software. With a virtual carrot dangling in front of my eyes each month with a look-at-this-graphic of some great looking node system or other gimmick to keep me subscribing. Surely a great thing would have been to include all this software in the price of Buildbox - $99 a month and free upgrade to 3.0. Even better would be to have everything integrated into just one program! Now that would have been a great event.

It also worries me when I read how many people that sound like they really cannot afford the price are finding ways to pay for it anyway because they are sold on what they have seen. Quite scary.

Overall, I really like Buildbox and enjoy using it. But if the fixes and stability doesn't come along with decent new feature then I can imagine a few will begin to question what they are paying for, especially if the returns are not being made from the App Stores.

13. Wapps1

Wapps1 Avid Boxer

Is this 43 Buildbox Presets still available?
    Is is only available till midnight, but which midnight? :D

At my clock its 10:46 in the morning

14. AaroArts

AaroArts Miniboss Boxer

Great post @Christoph. I completely agree with you.

Not having a 12 Monthly plan has really put me off. It’s far too expensive.

It’s particularly discouraging knowing BB customers are all treated differently depending when or how they purchase.

It’s also a shame people who have paid more than the equivalent to the cost of a full license, by paying monthly, aren’t rewarded.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
  15. Fernandooo69

Fernandooo69 Boxer

Yeah its a real shame that people who pay monthly like me aren't rewarded.

16. Wapps1

Wapps1 Avid Boxer

I don’t think so, when you have a monthly plan and use buildbox more than 2 years you will pay more than the master collection one time purchase!

17. Benfont

Benfont Avid Boxer

After seeing the video (BTW many thanks for recording it @Astro Games !) and then checking this post: https://go.buildbox.com/master-collection/ - All can say that I wish I had the money to buy it. It seriously looks amazing - you can tell that there has been a lot of work put into developing the software.
    Having said that, I believe the master collection is just too expensive for an indie developer, way too expensive.
    Has the BB team considered other payment options like the competitors already do?

For example:
    1) Unity: it comes with 3 license options that adapt to each type of developer.
    Unity Personal
    Free
    $100k revenue or funding cap
    All platforms
    Unity splash screen (with customization options)
    Personal tier services
    Unity Plus
    Pay $35 per month with 12 month commitment
    $200k revenue or funding cap
    All platforms
    Optional Unity splash screen (with customization options)
    Dark Editor Skin
    Plus tier services
    Unity Pro
    Pay $125 per month with 12 month commitment
    No revenue cap
    All platforms
    Optional Unity splash screen (with customization options)
    Dark Editor Skin
    Pro tier services
    Pay to Own
    MORE INFO HERE = https://blogs.unity3d.com/2016/06/16/evolution-of-our-products-and-pricing/
    2) Game Maker Studio - it offers different prices depending on what exporting modules you would like to add,

GameMaker Studio 2 Creator Mac more info $39 12 months
    GameMaker Studio 2 Creator Windows more info $39 12 months
    GameMaker Studio 2 Desktop more info $99 Permanent
    GameMaker Studio 2 Fire more info $149 Permanent
    GameMaker Studio 2 Web more info $149 Permanent
    GameMaker Studio 2 Mobile more info $399 Permanent
    GameMaker Studio 2 UWP more info $399 Permanent
    GameMaker Studio 2 PS4 more info $799 12 months
    GameMaker Studio 2 Xbox One more info $799 12 months
    GameMaker Studio 2 Ultimate more info $1,500 12 months​

Unreal Engine: Free (royalty system) - You only need to report royalties when you are making more than $3,000 per quarter from your product. But the software is free.

And there are plenty of other frameworks that offer different payment options,

Is the royalty system something BB would consider for example?

Skrubzy, Astro Games and AaroArts like this.
  18. AaroArts

AaroArts Miniboss Boxer

Stencyl also have a much more affordable payment plan depending on how you want to monetise your games. http://www.stencyl.com/

Benfont likes this.
  19. Benfont

Benfont Avid Boxer

Yes @AaroArts there are plenty of alternatives out there. This same problem has been faced before by the companies that own different video game engines. Indie developers are broke creatures by nature. I am sure the BB can come up with a better payment plan!

20. brakewind723

brakewind723 Serious Boxer

I see a lot of people worried about the price! Master collection it self will remain a bit pricey but your current subscription you are paying now for Buildbox 2.3 will also cover 3.0 when it is released sometime next year! With the current deal you will just be paying for super early beta access and also the full license of the program forever. 3.0 will still be subscription based upon its official release :).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.