Master Collection 2 - What Do You Think?

Discussion in 'Buildbox General Discussion' started by Christoph, Dec 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Benfont

Benfont Avid Boxer

2. andre_sprs

andre_sprs Serious Boxer

Do I wish MC2 was cheaper or subscription based - Absolutely! I really like @AndyG idea of it being an add-on.
    I was honestly expecting Buildbox Subscription to be cheaper because of Unity and Unreal pricing.
    I know for a fact that Trey reads everyone's comments/suggestions and takes it all into consideration as we (The community) are the ones that power buildbox.
    When BB1 first came out there was no subscription option and you had to buy buildbox outright. A few months later a subsciption model was introduced. I think if the community continues to request a subscription model for MC2 than Trey and the buildbox team will have to take it into consideration.
    We all have to remember that Buildbox is not as big as Unity & Unreal so Trey has to do whats best for his business and I can't be mad at that.

3. Skrubzy

Skrubzy Avid Boxer

Let's just go on strike and no one buy MC2 until a subscription for it releases lol

thatguyminib likes this.
  4. GoldenBoy

GoldenBoy Boxer

I understand what everyone is saying regarding their money budget. However, let's bring this from another perspective. 2,675$ for a life-time meaning that you will not pay any subscription again. Isn't it an awesome offer? Let's say you pay build box monthly subscription every month for 4 years then that's 4,000$ and so on.

Regarding the price, I think it's a bit expensive and definitely should have went much lower than 2,675$. The most reasonable price for this would be maybe around 800-900$.

5. thatguyminib

thatguyminib Serious Boxer

From that perspective you gave yes it would probably an awesome offer only if they didn't rush us to pay it. Now if they kept this price and didn't raise it then sure people could save some money, but they only offer this for a week. Also doesn't help that MC1 people didn't even get working software. So who's to say this software will work as well and if they will even update it because the MC1 people paid well over this amount and never got any updates for the broken programs plus they have to pay more to upgrade. Seems a bit messed up to me.

Skrubzy likes this.
  6. Jollydo

Jollydo Boxer

The Live event would be at 2 o'clock at night over here in the Netherlands. So I asked the BB team if there would be a recording of the event (there is alway a recording for this kind of events/webinars).
    The answer I got: "Unfortunately there will not be a recording. We hope you can join us!"

So.. what did I just saw uploaded on the BB YouTube channel, a recording of the event.

Why not just tell the truth, that they already knew they would post the event online the next day, to push sales.
    And then again... the complete event wasn't live. It was just a prerecorded presentation by Trey which they press-played at 5 o'clock PST. So the complete event was a recording all together in the first place and could be broadcasted literally at any time.

At the moment I really don't like the way BB is treating us, also with their price tactics and the way they push sales ( guerrilla marketing).
    What do you think?

Martijn

jcalle and Skrubzy like this.
  7. GoldenBoy

GoldenBoy Boxer

I totally understand, and you are absolutely right. People having MC1 already should get MC2 at no cost charges.

The real question that everyone should ask themselves before buying:

1) Are you willing to use buildbox for a long period of time (maybe 1-2 years)?

2) After looking at the softwares, are you really going to use each 1 of them for your games?

3) Are you willing to take the risk that maybe later on you might have to pay more than 2,675$ in order to get the latest updates?

4) By paying 2,675$, will you be satisfied that you will no longer pay monthly subscription to buildbox (less stress in your life) ?

Voila.

8. thatguyminib

Honestly I'm not even sure I'll subscribe anymore with all this going on lol. I wonder if the buildbox 3 beta will be for only MC2 or will it be for regular subs. If only for MC2 then I'll just wait till BB3 is officially out to subscribe and hope they don't raise the price lol

9. Skrubzy

Skrubzy Avid Boxer

I read his message and I was about to reply with the same exact thing as you...That's happened so much during this thread, kinda weird

10. Kbr954

Kbr954 Boxer

If indeed $2675 is for a lifetime, no more sub. fees, I think it's a great bargain!!! People should not walk but run to it.

Skrubzy likes this.
  11. hokuto_tc

hokuto_tc Boxer

This is where Trey is going wrong...
    this is typical of low level internet marketers all over, every new internet marketing software or recycled training they sell with a 'Webinar' they say There will be no replay and there is a time-limited offer at the end of the replay... then you receive email for the next 2 weeks offering you to watch the replay with extended time for the limited-time offer...

In the past 6 months, things have changed a bit online and now they (marketer) do say (most of them) there will be a replay link sent by email to all those registered for the event

Trey instead appears to be stuck in low-level-old-style webinar marketing using pre-recorded videos where you cannot ask questions, saying 'one time only event' no-replay and then yes the event is now in replay on their YT channel...
    - And yes an email has arrived saying they have extended the limited time offer...

Really Trey? Why are you treating your professional game-software business like if you were selling a $47 Amazon Affiliate Shop Wordpress Plug In? You are not doing yourself any favour.

All comes from online marketing like Mastermind Groups, $10,000 mastermind programs...

Trey, you had a good idea and the will to make BuildBox a reality,
    please now snap out of warriorforum and JVZoo type of marketing tactics aimed at dreamers that want to make a quick buck online...

We are games developers (and developers wannabe), no affiliate marketers wannabe.

Be respectful of your own product, existing customers, potential customers.
    Fix that stain you left in the past with a bad release of MC1

Keep it clean, fair, professional... we will follow you

12. Skrubzy

Skrubzy Avid Boxer

I agree, but it shouldn't be limited to 1 week. This price should be available forever, and I think there should also be holiday sales (Christmas, for example) which takes off a few hundred dollars and could include a couple custom assets.

13. Benfont

Benfont Avid Boxer

hi man, I think you are being a bit to harsh.
    One thing is to disagree with the price tag and another one is to just say that we are being tricked by marketing tactics and that Trey is not keeping it professional. I just don't think that is the case here..
    I believe we should be focusing on finding good arguments that might convince the managing team at BB to set a different price or offer different payment options..

thatguyminib likes this.
  14. Skrubzy

Skrubzy Avid Boxer

I don't think he is being harsh enough. BuildBox has existed for almost 3 years, and ever since, the price has barely changed (I don't really know when it was released, but I've seen forum posts from 2015) For YEARS the community has complained and argued about insanely high costs that most indie developers can't afford. Just look at the BuildBox YouTube comments, there's always people asking why the price is so high...but @TreySmith has done close to nothing to fix this burden. I agree with @hokuto_tc , the BuildBox team needs to lower their prices or else they'll start losing more of the community -- some boxers have already left because of MC2 and other issues that haven't been addressed since BuildBox's release. Yes, Trey uses marketing tactics to get more purchases, you can't argue against that...and I'm starting to think he just cares about the money.

fatboygames and thatguyminib like this.
  15. thatguyminib

I wonder if they will address our concerns at all?

16. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

I don't think the price is negotiable. Do you bargain for a coffee in Starbucks as well? I mean it is what it is, you take it or you leave it. As simple as that. Everybody has to decide this for him/herself. With my post I just wanted to point out what I think about it and maybe help others to make a decision. There are points against as well as points in favor. I think @GoldenBoy has a point. Before we paid 1k for a one year subscription, now you can buy 5 apps for 2.7k which for sure will hold for the next 3 years. I don't think that Buildbox 4 or the Master Suite 3 will come earlier than that. So yes, it actually got cheaper than what you paid before for only Buildbox alone. So if you were in the business to subscribe anyway and have the money, buying the Collection might be a good option. I definitely would love to see a trial for all applications, including Buildbox itself. I think that's the best way to get new customers.

17. comicsmathias

comicsmathias Avid Boxer

Unusable may or may not have been a wrong chioce of words.
    The softwares work, in the sense that you can open them up.

In animationbox, you can choose from a few pre-made animations. Unfortunately, these animations don't work well with BB, since the animations are moving around a lot, so that it's impossible to get the animations to fit with the collision shapes in BB.
    Also, several og the animations are just, broken. (idle bird, human attack, etc)
    Also, if you try to use for instance a run animation together with a jump animation, whenever the character changes between animations, he also portals up or down, which isn't good.

Soundbox, works, but have no advanced funcionalities. To update this software to something that seems ok, change the name to (2) and charge me for it, is just wrong. In my opinion.

Iconbox let's you create 1024*1024 pixel images.
    Just use GIMP.

Honestly I have never even used Imagebox, so can't say much about that.

18. thatguyminib

Honestly the price I am fine with. If I had the money outright I would buy it but I don't. I wish they would do a better payment plan for it though. The one they have now is still a bit too much a month. I personally would be willing to do the $250 a month for a year route or buying the programs separately. Or even if they kept this price and allowed people time to get some money saved up would be nice too.

I also want to know if BB3 beta will be included with a regular subscription of BB or if it is just apart of the MC2 deal.

19. comicsmathias

comicsmathias Avid Boxer

My issue is not with the price per se, but the broken promises.

I also believe they should have had a different approach to keep their past / existing customers happy.

thatguyminib likes this.
  20. TreySmith

TreySmith Moderator

Hey guys,

First off, I really appreciate your passion about what we're doing. It means a lot. I always try to read your feedback, even if I can't reply to each and every one of you.

While I'm here, I will try to address some recent commetns.

@GoldenBoy As for price, we already priced this under 50% of the last one, and the same price we released and sold Buildbox 1 and 2 for, not sure what to say here, but sales have been stronger than expected.

@Jollydo We only uploaded the portion about the software and pricing, which is instrumental for people making a decision on purchasing. We did not upload the full event, including the company update, customer updates, and closing section. I apologize if you felt this was misleading, and will review how we handle this in the future.

@Skrubzy@thatguyminib As for the limited offer, this is our version of Black Friday. We actually stated this in the very beginning of the launch. Instead of discounting an already released product, we decided to release this one time discount in the beginning. We just decided to do a full week instead of one day, as that would be too quick for people to make a decision.

@hokuto_tc We do not look at the affiliate/internet marketing scene for inspiration. In fact, we modeled the event flow off of Tesla. They used IBM Cloud video with gateway registration, and we thought it was smart, so we used the same system. The mystery event idea came from Roland who executed this brilliantly for their ARIA launch last year. After seeing it (and buying their products, I knew I wanted to try it). One day I would love to not do recorded videos for software launches, but it would be tough. You'll notice we do a lot of zoom ins that would be tough live, and we also cut about an hour from the initial recordings to keep things moving fast. Maybe we'll try it in the future, would be fun. As for extending the bonus, we had multiple people email support in European time zones that missed the event and did not think anyone would be offended by this, but I will definitely review that practice.

Finally, as for Master Collection 1 customers. I just checked with support and we have had zero customers email in complaining that we are charging for the upgrade, though it appears a couple have posted here in the forums. If you have an issue with this, please email support@buildbox.com so we can review. Most all software companies have an upgrade policy, and we primarily had to include it because of the inclusion of Buildbox 3.0. This is especially true, because most MC1.0 customers did not pay the full price (they were paying heavily reduced upgrades from previous products). If you felt this was unfair, then we definitely want to hear from you, so please let us know.

Edit: @comicsmathias I do not want you to feel like that, please email trey@buildbox.com and I would love to discuss it with you. This is not the experience I want our customers to ever have.

ptearnest, Benfont, Skrubzy and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.