Color Switch

Discussion in 'Game Showcase' started by Machine Rises, Dec 6, 2015.

1. Perry

Perry Avid Boxer

I installed it just so I could rate it a 1 and make it clear it is a rip off.

Machine Rises likes this.
  2. sysads

sysads Serious Boxer

Note: Its not everything you see is a clone. It could just be conflict of ideas since buildbox restricts you to a specific game type and pattern. I believe REVOLUTION you mentioned was released before Color Switch and also showcased on buildbox site, so how can that be a clone since they both use circle colors and jumping through?

Do you know how many ideas I have had to scrape after someone else bits me to it?

3. mugen_id

mugen_id Boxer

"by adding the multiple colors .."

Look this picture
    as insight and design to the fore

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 16, 2016
    buman likes this.
  4. tarasgasparin

tarasgasparin Boxer

Buildbox power! @Machine Rises Awesome to see Switch Color on charts! The Best!

5. Jayson

Jayson Boxer

There are no original Ideas. All ideas are borrowed - and that's not a bad thing.
    I recommend "Borrowing Brilliance" by David Murray. It's a great book for us all. :)

Attached Files:

Machine Rises and sysads like this.
  6. sysads

sysads Serious Boxer

A simple one - Which game got Ketchapp to where it is now that me and you are scrambling to get noticed? Was it their own game idea or a borrowed idea if I may steal from @Jayson comment :D

Machine Rises and Jayson like this.
  7. Chris Goodman

Chris Goodman Boxer

@Machine Rises i haven't been on the forum for a while and saw colour switch did t realise it was you who made. Well done nice music choice brings it all together and targets the right audience. If your games getting cloned you know you have made it and the more it's cloned the more success you will have as being the original you will stay in the charts for a long time, you've hit the big leagues, save a seat for me

8. Machine Rises

Machine Rises Serious Boxer

Haha thanks guys. Yes there are no 100% original ideas we all take inspiration from the world around us. Of course with apps we should take inspiration. We need to see what people like and no better way than to study successful games and game types. But there is a clear difference between "cloning" and "modeling and improving." Cloning is most often the exact same game play with no changes at all. Also graphics are exactly the same or only slightly different. Color Switch has many clones now haha. Color Switch is clearly model and improve in its execution. I studied many games of different game types and also including Flite. Actually Revolution I hadn't seen until after I built Color Switch. I think I had a conversation with Simon where he told me about his game after I showed him my game when it was early on. But in any of the games with this game type there was nothing like the improvements I put into Color Switch. The constant changing of the character is something that has turned out to be a key ingredient in this game; this in turn constantly changes where you can go through in the obstacles. It makes for a very exciting experience for the game player;) This I did not take from any other games but developed the idea when I knew I wanted to have colors as a main idea in my game. Actually I think the color changing ball came to me from when I was logging into Gmail; the loading symbol is a color changing ball ;) Inspiration is all around you and you should look even outside of games for new ideas ;) It's small changes that can yield big results. Tiger Woods is like most golfers in many ways but he is also very unique in the fine tuning to his game that he has which yielded him massive results. John Williams is one of my favorite film composers. Guess what? You can here classical music where he borrowed ideas from. I think it's Dvorak where he borrowed the Jaws theme in part from. But he did something new, fresh, modern, and original with it. He modeled and improved in other words ;) Many people really like this game around the world. Last I checked I was #1 in almost 20 countries. And in top 100 on over 100 countries. A clone would not prove to have lasting popularity I think or people would leave bad comments saying it's just a clone of other games. But in this case it is like other games that it has been inspired from but has improvements to theme and game design that were simple and proved to be elegant in execution. Sometimes it's very small yet simple improvements that can yield these massive results. Like I say all the time guys, study game design. Anyone can make a game, but only a few can design a game well. Mario Brothers is another great example of a game type has has endless variations from Metroid and Contra to casual games like Triple Jump, Geometry Dash, etc. I would consider these all variations of a platform type side scrolling game. Lastly be sure to learn from succesful games. Never focus on negative thinking you will only yield negative results. Instead be inspired and your results will be inspired too :) Anyway good luck with your own games guys. If you ever have questions or need some feedback on your games let me know and ill be glad to help:)

Last edited: Jan 16, 2016
  9. Machine Rises

Thanks for the book recommendation. I'm going to get that ;)

10. Jamie

Jamie Avid Boxer

The people who are saying that the games are the same need to learn differences between subtly different tasks and subtly different graphic styles. Model and Improve is not just about changing colors. Those people should rewatch Trey's trainings about what model and improvement is and is not. It is definitely not cloning.
    Color Switch, Flite, Revolution, and Circulate are all sufficiently different, and it is not just because of differences in colors. None of them are clones of each other, and no one should be trying to clone them. Model it, sure, but improve on it.

11. trygii

trygii Avid Boxer

@Machine Rises Is it possible to know what percentage Fortafy gets of the revenue? Or is it a secret until your game is accepted for publishing?

12. Machine Rises

@trygii sorry man I can't discuss anything in my contract. Did you contact Fortafy Games at: contact@fortafygames.com ? They should tell you this information before a contract is made if they like your game. I think that's pretty standard.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2016
    amazingafternoon and initBB like this.
  13. Machine Rises

@tweettopix thanks buddy! Yes STUDY STUDY STUDY game design. Anyone can make a game now with the help of Build Box but people forget that a lack of game design skill is a detriment to their success. I think @VectologyGames also mentioned in another thread that developers need to be good designers to have their games stand out from the rest. I 100% agree. Most indie developers apparently don't put study into this enough. I still study game design and am ordering another 5 to 10 books on it. I would never assume I know game design 100% or even close to that. We can always get better in any skill. Good luck with your games! Also if you want to be able to come up with many ideas quickly, purchase "Thinkertoys." You will get better and better at generating quality creative ideas quickly with the help from this book.

initBB and tweettopix like this.
  14. buman

buman Boxer

I have just update color switch, wow! impressed.
    Do you use the buildbox 2 to make that @Machine Rises ?

15. trygii

trygii Avid Boxer

@Machine Rises No problem buddy! I'll email them soon, thanks! :)

Color Switch has just crushed everything. Are you keep going to update it? What more can you add besides new patterns?

Good luck. I already told all my friends about your game and they are officially addicted ;)

Edit: I'm in love with the music. Did you hire someone and if yes, how much did it cost?

Last edited: Jan 18, 2016
  16. Taimoor Javaid

Taimoor Javaid Avid Boxer

The latest update of color switch not made with buildbox i guess, is it true @Machine Rises ?

17. Phill Mason

Phill Mason Serious Boxer

Congrats @Machine Rises , I see Color Switch is #1 Free App in the UK App Store this morning, crack open the Champers :)

Screen Shot 2016-01-19 at 14.03.25.png

18. wesam_badr

wesam_badr Miniboss Boxer

i also think so i liked more the endless mode the first version / i think he rebuild the game from scratch using codes or other game engine the last updates it's not buildbox work for sure however nice decision the game become more solid and professional it deserve to be in the first spot if only you can added endless mode after people complete the challenge.

19. hokuto_tc

hokuto_tc Boxer

maybe in UK is still the endless version?

20. sysads

sysads Serious Boxer

Buildbox engine or switched game engine afterwards, who cares - he has HIT the jackpot - Period

@Machine Rises please remember me in paradise :D

Seeing where your game is - my eyes are FULL of colors