Color Switch

Discussion in 'Game Showcase' started by Machine Rises, Dec 6, 2015.

1. sysads

sysads Serious Boxer

Now I see how color switch made it this huge, I just noticed this rapers facebook page - Fortafy its all color switch and with the number of users he has, the SKY was not the limit.

What a good way to use Facebook :)

2. Machine Rises

Machine Rises Serious Boxer

Hey guys first off I would never have gotten my publishing deal if not for build box. I owe my current success 100% to Trey and his software. We had very specific and rapid updates to be made so it just made sense to move natively after it got viral. I don't even know what's being used now as it's out of my hands. Good luck with your games guys!

3. sysads

sysads Serious Boxer

Always thinking outside the box ;)

BTW, will the guys opt for another game publishing or was this just a friend you knew?

4. Machine Rises

5. trygii

trygii Avid Boxer

@Machine Rises You don't know what's being used now? Did you sell your game to them?

6. Machine Rises

@trygii haha I still own my IP don't worry ;) I don't worry about what engine is used I just approve updates for CS.

7. trygii

trygii Avid Boxer

@Machine Rises Haha man that's crazy. The only thing you need to do is approve updates.. that's genius. :D

amazingafternoon likes this.
  8. hokuto_tc

hokuto_tc Boxer

how does it work when you publish through 3rd party... in terms of auditing revenues. Do you have access to the ad-revenue accounts/data? Do you just trust what they tell you?

9. trygii

trygii Avid Boxer

I'd like to know this too. How can you make sure they are paying the right amount of your cut?

10. Machine Rises

Hey guys all I can say is I'm very happy with my contract and the information that I have access to. I can't discuss details in any way since I am under contract and I don't know how a contract would be for others. Best advice I can give is ask them directly at: contact@fortafygames.com

11. hokuto_tc

hokuto_tc Boxer

oh I was asking in general as other people here published with BulkyPIx, Appsolute, Buildbox, Ketchapp, etc... and of course you with Fortafygames :)

12. trygii

trygii Avid Boxer

Yes just general. We know you can't talk about anything because of your contract. Still thanks buddy for all the great advice's you give! :)

13. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

I think this "I can't talk about it" is a very sad clause of your contract. It would be very interesting for other developers and newcomers to learn about this part of the business. Your game has definitly made it and to share the experience and knowledge you got now would help you and everyone else to get better at what we do (or want to do). Knowledge is here to be shared, not to be locked down in a safe in my humble opinion. Still great to see someone succeed outside the Ketchapp Imperium. Do you think you can ask your publisher for an exeption? I mean, this is only his second game and it's not a huge enterprise that would have to approve it. Of course only if it is in your personal interest too.

As a side note: I still have version 1.1 is there a new one?

14. Machine Rises

Hey guys read earlier in my post because I go over how I got my contract. Remember I didn't know anything or anyone in the beginning; I started from scratch. I worked very hard for over 2 years with no sign of success but I kept at it. You can all reach your dreams too if you work hard and work smart; never lose sight of your dreams. Here's what I can do to help. If you guys ever want me to look at your games for feedback I'll be happy to. Also, if you think you have an A+ game feel free to show me or I can direct you to good people to talk to. This is the same thing I did. I posted in the old forums about the fact I thought I had an A+ game and people on the forums helped me. Here are simple things to keep in mind in general:

1. Study game design!!! You will never make an A+ game unless you do this unless you're just a prodigy developer.
    2. Study creativity. Thinkertoys is full of great techniques to help you improve creativity and apply it.
    3. Help each other. We're all pretty accesible here so reach out for help when you need it. This is how I eventually landed my current deal.
    4. Be patient. Your success will happen when the time is right
    5. Be kind. People like to help or work with people they like. Don't be that rude or angry person because you will push others away.
    6. Enjoy your failures and frustrations. Learn from those and adapt your behavior.

Hope that helps! I'm not trying to sound like some guru these are things I learned along the way. I've had plenty of times where I got angry with others for example and I learned that's the wrong way to conduct myself. Ultimately I am responsible for any success or lack thereof. But I am determined to keep at it on a daily basis until I've reached my goal. Don't worry about contract details first worry about making great games and then you can worry about those when you talk to the publisher you decide to go with.

15. Machine Rises

@Christoph we are still waiting for the update to go live with apple but it is on google play. I'll also double check with what I can share with you guys;)

16. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

Ha! Great Machine Rises. I actually already bought Thinkertoys and started reading. Thanks for the suggestion from your first post.

As you see, we think we already have a great game and only want to know about the publishing part which is the one nobody is talking about and you normally don't know anything about it, till you got a contract. (And then you are not allowed to talk about).

Your game seems to have it all (and even more now with the software change and everything) and here you are, still talking to us. This makes it even a greater opportunity to learn something new. Would be fantastic if you get some permission to talk about your particular story.

17. Wings n Armor

Wings n Armor Avid Boxer

How did you guys do this without a publisher!!!!! AWESOME!

18. Wings n Armor

Wings n Armor Avid Boxer

Who's the publisher?

19. Machine Rises

Wings n Armor likes this.
  20. Machine Rises

@Christoph yeah that's just the nature of any business really. Once you enter into a contract you don't see authors, musicians, etc talking about the specifics of their contract. Best advice I can give is research publishers, look at the success of their apps over time on sites such as appannie, maybe talk to developers such as myself about their experience with them, etc. Also studying their portfolio is important to know what kinds of games they are looking for.

But my story is very simple. I had what I thought was an A+ game. I asked on the forums for help. I was recommended people to talk to. Talks led to more people to meet. And then Fortafy eventually saw my game and loved it and you know the rest. There's really no magic formula. All you need to do is reach out to people with your game. If they believe in it too then that's most of your battle won.

Salkir, initBB, Phill Mason and 2 others like this.