V2.1.0 - Object Opacity Has Changed

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Phill Mason, May 19, 2016.

1. Phill Mason

Phill Mason Serious Boxer

I was playing around with the new Swipe feature today and I use object quite often to move actions around, like coins. A really handy feature in V2.0 was to click on an objects default animation and change the opacity to 0. This meant I could still the that object on the scene editor, but when I previewed the game, it was totally transparent - just how I needed to visualise it in the finished game - great.

Sadly in V2.1.0, this feature has gone back to it's old ways, if you make it 0 opacity, then it's 0 in the scene editor too. It makes grabbing and moving objects around really difficult.
    Probably just an oversight, but can it please go back to how it was in V2.0?

Thanks guys, loving the update, great work.

2. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

Thanks for the feedback Phill!

Gotcha, yes this was changed on purpose, because we want the scene editor to be as true as possible to preview (and in turn on device), but now I can see what you are saying as well. The temporary hack is to set the opacity to .01. Actually, we've been having internal discussion on this for a couple weeks. I know the proper solution now that will make everyone happy, it's rather simple actually.

Basically, if an objects opacity property is set to 0 then we will still allow it to be selected. Seems so simple. :)

Phill Mason likes this.
  3. Phill Mason

Thanks @Andy, sure the temp hack is what we did prior to the cool feature in V2, but guess we'll have to go back to a 0.something transparency whilst working on scenes. No big deal, but I did think the way is was working prior to 2.1.0 :)

4. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

The "feature" was a side effect of fixing opacity in preview and exports. It was not on purpose. :)

5. Phill Mason

{Forgiven} :)

6. heathclose

heathclose Miniboss Boxer

@Phill Mason @Andy just go into the image editor of said object and change the opacity in there... it shows up in the workspace fully so you can manipulate it easily, but does not show up when you preview... i never mess with opacity other than in the editor itself just for that reason.

7. Phill Mason

It doesn't do that any more @heathclose, take a look, there is only the option to change opacity when you click on an object on the left, then default animation on the right to open the animation editor. There's an opacity change in there, but if you go deeper by clicking on the image and open the sprit editor, there's no option for opacity.

So as I mentioned above, if you now change the opacity in V2.1.0, it stays that way in the scene editor - bummer.

8. heathclose

oh... my bad... im not using 2.1 until they fix it... too many bugs and crashes... went back to 2.0.1

9. heathclose

oh i see... my actions that are 0 opacity can't be seen in the workspace when i open my project in 2.1

10. Phill Mason

That's interesting to read you've gone back to 2.0.1 because of bugs and crashes in 2.1.0, I went back to 2.0 as 2.0.1 was crashing for me, but since updating to 2.1.0, all appears to be groovy. We're both Mac, so there must be certain things within gameplay that influence each crash.

11. heathclose

well... the very first time I tried to open one of my games, blamo, crashola... combined with seeing reports of the menu back jump buttons resetting like they were in 2.0, and others reporting crashes... I just didn't go back... even tho it has a few bug fixes one of my games needed, I had gotten all the menu buttons working right in 2.0.1, so I'm not going to open that game in 2.1... however, since I can't release that game due to sound issues in actions not fixed yet, maybe development of the new one I started wll be ok in 2.1... I'll use it and see what I get...

12. Phill Mason

There's the difference, you're opening an existing game and I've only tested out new ideas so far in the latest version. I see that most of the issues are existing games being opened in newer versions of the software. Must be shed-loads of variables for the BB Team to try and track when this happens. Onwards and Upwards :)

Last edited: May 26, 2016
    heathclose likes this.
  13. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

Any news on this one? I thought this would be something of the first things to re-integrate again but no love so far. I really would like to see the orange placeholder again to be able to move 0 opacity objects like before. This is driving me nuts in 2.1.1. :(

14. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

I believe 2.1.1 is the final word on this behavior... but you can check 2.2.x to see if there is any difference. I'll need a really concrete example of exactly what you are looking for. I don't really understand your explanation.

15. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

For me this one was the best one:

transparency.png

It was very easy to see where I placed invisible actions or objects and they were very easy to select. What is the reason this was changed again?

16. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

Ah, you are talking about something completely different. This is used when there is no image added at all, which still works.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/xi0v2sc8ombnq3b/Screenshot 2016-06-30 08.31.57.png?dl=1

So unless I'm missing something completely obvious (possible) I still don't know what you mean. Best would be to put to together a quick test BBDOC and let me know what versions I can load it in to see the difference you are talking about.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2016
  17. heathclose

Hey @Andy quick tip, someone shared that if you change that 0 to a 1 at the end the Dropbox link, you can embed the image directly in your post

18. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

Haha, thanks! I always forget to embed, moving to fast. ;-)

BTW, don't think I didn't notice your post count. :p

heathclose likes this.
  19. trygii

trygii Avid Boxer

Why do I feel like @heathclose is going to become an unpaid moderator :p

20. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

Hmmm. Not sure about that. When you open the attached bbdoc in Buildbox 1.3.6 you'll see that the image is there but the opacity is set to zero. It then automatically takes this orange placeholder which is really great to see and move around.

Attached Files: