BuildBox History

Discussion in 'Buildbox General Discussion' started by wesam_badr, Dec 4, 2015.

1. wesam_badr

wesam_badr Miniboss Boxer

I was searching in the web and i heard that buildbox first prototype was called project zero then became project mayhem then came out mayhem 2 but i didn't find any other information just they were made for mac only.

1469861_787850181240973_1371452362_n[1].png 1461201_787845837908074_542761472_n[1].png

There is only this video of first prototype of buildbox that from it came to exist the first or alpha version of buildbox 1.0 and the first game that was built phases and now buildbox version 2.0 is just few day away to be released that already has sky as first game.

But this thread i created to know more about buildbox HISTORY what kind of games project 0 and mayhem created and how they looked like...

2. TreySmith

TreySmith Moderator

Oh man, this is fun.

You could say the REAL first version was a prototype of our game Jump Pack. I had Nik make the physics controls changeable on the pause screen so I could tweak the game settings. This gave me the initial idea for making a full piece of software around that.

It started with Project Zero as a test to see if we could take this idea behind Jump Pack and add it into some real software. "Zero" stood for creating a game with zero programmers. This was just a prototype that was never actually available for sell:
    PZ1.png
    Then we made Project Mayhem, which was an advanced version of Project Zero. This was the first time we opened up the door for multiple gameplay types. It was sold in limited quantities in a package with other software and source codes. What's funny is this was before flat design was real popular. It looks hideous now, but was cool to us at the time. Also, the name came from the movie Fight Club ;)

PM1.png

Then next, we decided to update the original and make Project Zero 2. This mainly did spaceshooter/avoidance style games, but was the first time we added in Power-ups. It made very simple games, but they were fun and our customers did well with it. Also, we started focusing more on design.

PZ2.png
    Then, we updated Project Mayhem and made Project Mayhem 2. Like it's predecessor, it was only sold in a large package. People still use it today as it has a lot of unique options (like multiple worlds, transitions and more), but it doesn't give you as much control over the physics as Buildbox. This was also the first time I started designing the UI for our software myself and when we debuted the level editor.

PM2.png

Then, of course, we have Buildbox 1.0. For Buildbox, we really redid everything. I decided to kill the left bar for navigation and try to keep as few buttons as possible on the software. We brought a few ideas over form PM2 (like the level and menu editor), but it was a total rewrite and the first software we offered for PC.

Buildbox1.png
    Buildbox 2.0 looks significantly different. I will update this thread when we show the first screenshots ;)

buman, Jamie, Kevin W and 7 others like this.
  3. wesam_badr

wesam_badr Miniboss Boxer

thank you @TreySmith that really nice of you you relieved my curiosity

4. Phill Mason

Phill Mason Serious Boxer

My first ever app was built with Project Zero - Ahh happy memories, seems like a lifetime ago now :)

Rebel Studios, Kevin W and TreySmith like this.
  5. Machine Rises

Machine Rises Serious Boxer

"Big things have small beginnings," David from Promethius.

6. TreySmith

TreySmith Moderator

Nik just reminded me of things that predated Project Zero I forgot about as well, including a small level editor we made on an avoidance game. Will try to find some screenshots of this sometime and edit them in. This is fun to trace back... he also reminded me that with Jump Pack I was just editing plist files. We didn't do the pause screen slider for editing gameplay until a few months later with a game called Milo. Really interesting as we didn't even know the exact source, but over lunch we were putting together a mental roadmap ;)

wesam_badr and Kevin W like this.
  7. Machine Rises

Machine Rises Serious Boxer

Could be a pretty cool mini doc to show the history and/or evolution of BB.

wesam_badr and TreySmith like this.