No Love From Voodoo :(

Discussion in 'Buildbox General Discussion' started by VectologyGames, Sep 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fernandooo69

Fernandooo69 Boxer

Look at most of the games that trey has made along side with games like color switch, they are/were easily in par/ good enough to be published (which most of them were). And yes i was turned down by voodoo because i used buildbox, unfortunately i didn't even get to test my game so it could of been really good or bad but i was still turned down and told to use unity but i don't know how to code so :/

2. Fernandooo69

Fernandooo69 Boxer

Did you test you game with voodoo and then got turned down because your game was made with buildbox (even though it had good results)? did they say why (specific reason) or just because it was made with buildbox?

3. kodagames

kodagames Avid Boxer

It's limited as to what we can do because BB hasn't provided us with the tools to succeed (giant Period)!

I see a lot of comments on retention, sdk, etc.. I whole heartily believe the reason publishers are shying away from BB 2 games is because they are limited and a sooo many are alike (again we haven't been provided with the necessary tools to succeed, such as node systems etc..).

2D games will never be dead and retention can happen we just need the tools.

Its crazy I just signed up with BB and got it installed today and after a few posts stumbled across this one.. painful.

I myself have no desire to make 3d games. If I wanted to code and everything else why pay for this when Unity is free and a Node system over there is around $70 bucks for a lifetime (and this system has been worked on for 3 years prior to release, truly amazing).

Last note, then I'll get off of the band wagon. What happened to model and improve? (do it for the engine).

Its sounds like BB 2 is dying or going to be dead soon and I don't want to sit around and wait for BB 3 to get up to speed before they bring 2D elements back in (which I believe will be an incredibly long time), by November?? maybe a weak shell with OMG limitations again.

I'm canceling again hahaha but who knows maybe I'll be back when 2d is up and running but by then I might be a pro at Unity :D

Member_Game, Vlad-NY and Christoph like this.
  4. kodagames

kodagames Avid Boxer

I did it, canceled today getting off this train before it crashes. I will miss a lot of excellent members here! Game on my friends!

5. wayne_martell

wayne_martell Avid Boxer

Yes it's worrying to say the least, Unity playmaker is starting to look good. I hope the guys start addressing this soon ! BB has such potential.

6. kodagames

kodagames Avid Boxer

I just got playmaker today and let me tell you it is awesome NOT like a visual scripting editor where you need to know how to program to use it... last post :D BYE...

adrogdesigns and wayne_martell like this.
  7. jmiller8031

jmiller8031 Avid Boxer

Playmaker is just a finite state machine. It's really limited in what it can do. If you really want to make games and be free to do whatever you want then you have to put your time in and learn it all (or pick a field that you enjoy and just do that, such as programming or art) and stop looking for shortcuts. I work at a game studio and do this professionally so I'm not just talking out of my butt.

volcank likes this.
  8. thatguyminib

thatguyminib Serious Boxer

Lol I think you can get more than 50% on udemy XD. They have like 90% sales all the time lol

volcank likes this.
  9. spicedbeangames

spicedbeangames Miniboss Boxer

Heartstone was made in Playmaker

10. thatguyminib

Lol Hearthstone was not entirely made with Playmaker. Playmaker was just used so the Art team to work with their animation system that way the art team could create the events they needed on their own.

suth4rshan likes this.
  11. jmiller8031

jmiller8031 Avid Boxer

Yeah, Playmaker is a concept design tool, not a final game building tool. It's quick to put some basic logic together to get things moving. You still have to worry about coding for performance and features in the end. If you want visual scripting that does everything then use Bolt.

12. suth4rshan

suth4rshan Boxer

Still Playmaker is much better than box ;)

volcank likes this.
  13. Codifie

Codifie Avid Boxer

I am revisiting this thread because today I officially signed a deal with a TabTale (Crazy Labs) for a BB2 game. I am not going to share a lot of details about the game at this time since they are ramping up for the marketing campaign and release date, but I wanted to share with you my experience trying to land a deal.

Out of 15 publishers, nearly everyone of them said no once they discovered I used the Buildbox engine, some liked it and provided great feedback, others wouldn't even look at it. They immediately told me to contact them if I ported it to Unity (which I am now using because of the education I received from this journey).

TabTale on the other hand will take your BB2 game and will port it to Unity. But they made it pretty clear to me that they prefer all future submissions from me to be in Unity.

I spoke at great lengths to some of these publishers and really their dislike for Buildbox is the fact that it is not capable of interfacing with their private SDKs and PSDKs. This was 100% the reason they have stopped looking at BB games. If BB can not interface to their needs then it is non acceptable, period, doesn't matter what version, doesn't matter if it is 2D or 3D.

The market has changed considerably, it is all about User Acquisition, metrics and retention. If those are the things you base your publishing decisions on, then why would you publish something that doesn't fill that need.

The education I received during my exchanges with publishers was eye opening and has caused me a lot of angst because I have been using BB3 to develop my next game. After talking with these publishers I no longer think that is a wise decision because I have no idea when BB3 will actually be able to fulfill the publishers needs. So I find myself working now in Unity more, but still going back to BB3 with the hope that BB3 will have what I need when I am ready, but that ready date is quickly approaching, hence why I am now working in dual engines, using Unity.

14. Buildbox

Buildbox Administrator

Hi Codifie, Over the past few weeks our team has had meetings with Lion Studios, Voodoo, Ketchapp, Green Panda, Gameloft and more, to find out specifically what they will need to make sure we accommodate. Each publisher we've talked with has been amazingly supportive, and they understand there will not be limitations with 3.0 and beyond. We have not talked to Tabtale yet, but they are on the list.

To be clear, with Buildbox 3, you will be able to create anything that you can in other coding-only software like Unity. Even if publishers have more demanding request, like AI based simulated mulitplayer, it will be possible with the software. The publishers are excited about that, and none of their request have been outlandish or something we've been slightly concerned with.

We understand some of the frustrations that have come up recently with Buildbox 2. It's always tough near the end of a life-cycle for a software product when the limitations are more apparent as the industry shifts. We also saw this when sunsetting Buildbox 1, but we will not have these issues in the future as Buildbox 3 as the additional nodes and coding features. This is why we started working on this version a very long time ago, and have set aggressive release dates for software.

If you need some help with Buildbox 3, please reach out to support or private message @NikRudenko here in the forum. We can probably help you get the game finalized right now. People are testing BB3 games with publishers like Voodoo with no issues.

15. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

First of, congratulations mate. Awesome success.

Secondly, I cannot believe how Buildbox still doesn’t react. Even worse they chose to keep total silence instead of looking to resolve and communicate with us customers. It’s one more business decision I never will understand. So many missed opportunities here but selling a book and doing silly videos seems to be more important nowadays.

I say it once more to keep silence myself later once again (if not, I just am criticized as the negative guy):

We need all the needed tools now and in Buildbox 2. The current flagship software we are using. Not in Buildbox 3 that will be usable eventually next year.

16. Josh (Nology Games)

Josh (Nology Games) Avid Boxer

Now I also would like to add, this thread has gotten out of hands. Please be mindful that the buildbox team is providing a service and making things better, yes publishers were unhappy at one stage but Trey Smith has spoken to them and they are looking forward to Buildbox 3 so focus on that and you will be fine.

Hue Buildbox and PunkPuffin like this.
  17. thatguyminib

Please elaborate on the "Anything" part lol

18. Josh (Nology Games)

Simple, it was stated, if you can do something in another aoftware, you can do it in Buildbox3.

Hue Buildbox likes this.
  19. Josh (Nology Games)

Now due to customer complaints and I will quote one for you
    “One thing I would like to comment on is the forums. They do tend to get a bit out of control and I find I’m trying to filter out too much personal attacking going on. It totally ruins the great resource it could be.”

We will be closing this thread, but if you have any other enquires about it then feel free to contact support@buildbox.com

Hue Buildbox likes this.
  20. Codifie

Codifie Avid Boxer

Before this all gets out of hand.

I am not trying to say one engine is better than the other. I simply shared what I learned dealing with publishers directly.

I am a huge fan of Buildbox, it is by far the most efficient engine for certain game concepts. There is no doubt in my mind that Buildbox will continue to thrive. I simply bring up Unity because this was the input I received. Unity is a completely different monster.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.