Why Is My Game Skipping And How Do I Fix It?

Discussion in 'How Can I...?' started by Riviale, Apr 30, 2018.

1. Riviale

Riviale Boxer

When i go to test my game, it skips at certain parts, i don't have much content in the game yet, so i don't see how it can be that, how do i fix this?

2. AndyG

AndyG Miniboss Boxer

Sounds like your Timeline Editor is set to Random. Try aligning scenes via the Edit menu up top.
    You can view the Timeline by clicking on the up arrow at bottom right.

upload_2018-5-1_9-27-48.png

ZackGriset likes this.
  3. Riviale

Riviale Boxer

I know i have them aligned, i did that intentionally for other reasons. My girlfriend says it might be my computer itself, but that doesn't seem quite right either...

4. AndyG

AndyG Miniboss Boxer

the only other thing I can think of is that Play Cooldown is being used?

upload_2018-5-1_13-53-9.png

5. Riviale

Riviale Boxer

Nope, not being used, now my scenes are 13000, would that make a difference?

6. AndyG

AndyG Miniboss Boxer

Man nope defeated. You'll need to send the problem and the bbdoc to support@buildbox.com and ask for help or maybe @ZackGriset can jump in with a solution?

7. ZackGriset

ZackGriset Avid Boxer

@Riviale can you please send this in to support using the email address that @AndyG posted above. We will take a look at it and figure out what's going on. Btw, I love your Calvin and Hobbes profile pic. Big fan. :D

8. Riviale

Riviale Boxer

Thanks, i appreciate everything both of you guys have tried to do, and i've always been a calvin and hobbes fan, since i was a kid. ::D

ZackGriset likes this.
  9. Riviale

Riviale Boxer

Question, if i made a series of simple games that are connected to one another, that have the first half of the game free and pay $0.99 to play the rest of the game, do you think this is a bad idea? Should i add ads for the free half and remove them when you pay $0.99, are ads worth it from a profit standpoint? I realize each game might not make much money, but if i have 12 games out (over the course of a year or so,) and each one brings in roughly $100 a month, then it's worth it for me.
    I realize this isn't part of my original thread, but i'm not a big fan of trying to hunt through all the threads to find exactly what i need.

10. ZackGriset

ZackGriset Avid Boxer

Hey @Riviale, here's what you can do. If you want to set it up like that, it's easy. You just make a separate world and have it be a lock button I think and you can charge an in app purchase. If you do that, I might take the ads off of that world or I might not. It could just be a cool world you charge for. Idk if I have a hard stance on this. I think whatever you decide is fine. I'm not against have special worlds you charge $0.99 for. I would even keep the ads probably, but obviously set the interval pretty high. You can have players remove ads with the remove ads button.

11. Riviale

Riviale Boxer

Well, actually what i'm planning on making (since i'm new to game developing and i don't want to get in over my head, and right now i have a full time job doing as a machine operator and i want to get away from that and make a career out of independent game developing,) is a series of games that are all connected to one another, but not in an obvious way. It's going to be a mystery that the player has to figure out, at the end of each game in the series, there'll be a clue, you have to play the all games (including the bonus game which will include the cipher to tell you how to put the clues together, because they will not come in order) in order to get all the clues. This is what i intend to be the "grabber" for the customer. The only way to get the clue is to play the game all the way through, but i want them to be able to try it before they buy it. And, they'll have to play all the games to get all the clues, this enables me to put more games out there and not focus a great deal on any one game (not to say i intend to make shoddy games, i just don't want to have to focus a crazy amount of time on any one game, though each game will gradually have more content and be of better quality, due to more experience w/ buildbox.) I don't want to pump in months or even years into my first game or two only to have it fail, that would be depressing and a waste of time. Later on down the line (when i have more experience, buildbox hopefully has much more content, and i can focus more on game developing because, hopefully, by then i'll be doing independent game developing as a career,) i intend to make more sophisticated games, i have an idea or two for a few MMO style games (really wanna make a version of Robot Rising and perhaps Black and White.)