stop spawner tail with invisible element

Discussion in 'How Can I...?' started by Christoph, Nov 10, 2015.

1. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

I know that this question probably will not find an answer. But who knows and I'll get lucky.

I have a typically spawner element in the character that gives me a tail when jumping. This element disappears when the jump ends (which is when the character hits against a platform). How can I reproduce this effect to stop the spawner element without a platform? I tried to make the platform invisible but since I do not want to stop the character in the air I also have to make the collision type to NO collide. Once I do that, the jump continues as if the platform wouldn't be there but the tail too. I tried also with actions to see if I can find a glitch that would reproduce the effect but no luck. The spawner always continues to appear.

Anyone knows a way to do it?

2. Phill Mason

Phill Mason Serious Boxer

Just typing out loud here @Christoph as I haven't done this, but trying to offer some ideas.
    I assume you want to continue your jump action, not land on a platform, but stop the tail in mid-flight, right? (hey that rhymes) If so, I assume you could pin-point a place within your scene where you want this event to take place. If not, then making it random would be much more difficult, but if it happens in a certain location, could you not have an invisible object (which acts as a move trigger when you pass through it) drag an invisible platform into the line of movement of your character? This invisible platform colliding with the character would activate the stop tail action and you would continue without interfering with your jump. As long as everything is set to no collide, it should halt the character.

Christoph likes this.
  3. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

Thanks @Phill Mason, thats exactly what I did but when I set it to no collide as described above it does not halt the character anymore. Unfortunately.

4. Phill Mason

Phill Mason Serious Boxer

So you do want to halt the character and the spawner at the same time? Sorry I'm a bit confused. I thought you wanted to stop the spawner, but not the character.

Christoph likes this.
  5. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

Yes, sorry. halt the spawner, not the character of course. :D

6. trudnai

trudnai Miniboss Boxer

Why do not you just add the spawner to the jump animation?

UPDATE: A picture worth a thousand words...

Screen Shot 2015-11-12 at 9.40.34 AM.png

Screen Shot 2015-11-12 at 9.35.44 AM.png

Last edited: Nov 12, 2015
    Christoph likes this.
  7. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

Yes, thats what I'm doing. The spawner is in the jump animation. In your second screenshot, I want the spawn to end with a fake platform/element/action whatever somewhere in the middle of the jump without ending the jump itself.

8. trudnai

trudnai Miniboss Boxer

Ah I got you... So then forget jump animation, and:
    1. Create an Action, call that "jump tail"
    2. Make sure Action Type is "None"
    3. Edit Animation and add your spawner there -- no need jump animation, just the spawner...
    4. Close the Animation window
    5. Still looking at the Action's Advanced Options, make sure Animation Placement is "Character" and Animation Behavior is "Overlay"
    6. Open Menu Editor and double click on Game Field
    7. Drag any reasonable sized PNG to the Game Field and let it go over "Action Button"
    8. Enlarge it so it covers entire screen
    9. Set Action Selection to "jump tail"
    10. On the Image field click on the Pencil to open Image Editor and set Opacity to 0, then click on Save
    11. Uncheck the "Block Touch" and check both "Force Action On Press" and "Unlimited Use"
    12. From Controls drag a Button to exactly to the middle of the screen and enlarge that to cover full window
    13. Set it to "Char Jump"
    14. Uncheck "Block Touch"
    From now you have what you wanted (or what I think what you wanted), when touching the screen or click on it with Mouse, you will have the effect.
    With the Duration on the "jump tail" Action you can set the time until the tail is active...

Screen Shot 2015-11-12 at 4.15.38 PM.png

Last edited: Nov 12, 2015
    Christoph likes this.
  9. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

That's actually a very good idea, but unfortunately not possible either in my case. I already have a lot of actions (too much) and I have also a lot of different characters with different tails. If I would put the tail to the action I only would have one tail for all characters. :(