Might uninstall trial version

Discussion in 'Buildbox General Discussion' started by harrisonbrendie, Nov 25, 2015.

1. harrisonbrendie

harrisonbrendie Boxer

I am looking for a game creator software that will (1) have examples already loaded, to help me learn the program a little easier (2) be able to draw my characters, not a good artist but still like to dabble (3) tweak existing art work examples, you know that feeling -- you see something you like for your game but it's not quite right so you tweak it a little.
    I downloaded the trial version earlier today. Got started on the videos & realized (1) no already loaded items, (2) inability to draw, (3) well, 3 (previous paragraph) only works if items are already loaded and the ability to draw is a factor.
    The videos are really good. I am not putting down this software. I just don't think it's for me, free (trial version) or paid (price is a little steep for this software without the features I mentioned earlier). When I download software I prefer to be able to get right to work and follow the videos.
    I will continue in my search for the right program for me. For those that love this program, I sincerely wish you all the luck and the ability to make money from your games.

2. wesam_badr

wesam_badr Miniboss Boxer

Open your photoshop or your illustrator or just the paint tool and draw circles and squares that what you will need to start learning see the popular buildbox game the line zen...

3. harrisonbrendie

harrisonbrendie Boxer

Thank you for the advice. I don't want to have two programs opened at the same time so I can work on a game. By the way, I do have GIMP. It's great and fun! I play with it using my photos.
    I have other programs. Looking for something similar to Blender but for 2D games. Don't get me wrong, Blender is fun to use but it's a 3D program. Also have a good animation program (currently writing a short script for a quick video) for cartoons. That one is going to be fun!
    Currently testing the waters to see if I want to dive in...what direction I should go. Plenty of time.

4. brakewind723

brakewind723 Serious Boxer

I believe there is an artpack that comes with the downloaded trial version, it includes dozens of assets to get you started. See if you can find it on the web somewhere.

netkomm likes this.
  5. Perry

Perry Avid Boxer

@harrisonbrendie You're not going to find software that does what you're asking, it doesn't exist. Drawing and coding a game are two completely different things and would not really be possible in the same environment.

6. VectologyGames

VectologyGames Serious Boxer

I think Flash is what your looking for....

7. harrisonbrendie

harrisonbrendie Boxer

Perry,
    Really? Because in Blender 3D you can create your own assets or import from other programs, there is a Python (personal favorite) console for coding too. It's a tough program to learn but worth it. You can create games, videos, etc. with it. But, I would like a 2D program similar too it. Oh, you can use the same lip syncing program with Blender 3D & Synfig Studio.
    GDevelop is a good program too (2D game developer). I'm still learning that one so I don't know if I can create my own assets yet. Yes, there is a coding area too. I don't know C ++.
    Then the truly fun one, Synfig Studio. Not a game developing program but I got curious. I didn't see any coding area. But, with this one, you can create your own characters, scenes, etc. This is an animation program for cartoons, long or short films. But, you do need a lip syncing program, voice changer, and a program similar to gedit. With this one, I am thinking about creating a cartoon series for the little ones in my family (terrible twos!).

8. harrisonbrendie

harrisonbrendie Boxer

Thank you for your response. Perhaps that is what I am looking for. I will know it when I see it. lol

9. harrisonbrendie

harrisonbrendie Boxer

Thank you for your response. I got the art pack 2 days later. I am used to programs that have them installed already so I can get to work.

10. Perry

Perry Avid Boxer

As far as the ease of use of Buildbox combined with creating assets, there isn't really anything out there. Yes, there is Flash, and Blender, and a few others that do 3D and coding, but they all require the coding as well as decent knowledge of 3D design.

11. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

You can learn Buildbox in 1 week. To learn Blender you need several months. Yes, this means Buildbox is very easy to use and has its huge limitations. But this actually forces yourself to be creative. And don't forget, Buildbox is still in version 1. Version 2 will have more features. Version 3 even more. Buildbox is going to rule all other 2D and 2.5D game platforms. No other game creation software is that easy to learn and that powerful at the same time. At least in my opinion. With third party plug-ins enabled we soon will be going crazy. I first tried GameSalad and Constructor because I thought Buildbox is not good enough. After two month lost I gave up. After several month I tried again and entered the 30 days trial with Buildbox and now I can't think of another platform to make my games. If I stay in the industry it will be because of Buildbox.

netkomm likes this.
  12. harrisonbrendie

harrisonbrendie Boxer

Doesn't anyone want to learn the value of coding anymore? I do. Coding is not the problem. I can learn.
    I made a simple mistake thinking this software was something else. I thought there was more to it. My mistake. If I want a drag & drop I will get Stencyl or something similar.
    Looks like I might have to design my own 2D program. Back to the drawing board...
    Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving! Ours was fun! Stories, card games, food!

13. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

Yeah. Definitely not the coder type of a guy. Have no idea what this is and how it's done. My background is animation, video and film, it's more the visual things that I'm attracted to. :D

As Rick Davidson says, it's not the software that's the most important thing. The most important thing is you starting developing. Would love to see your games made with other software to see what you could achieve. If you are into 3D you probably also want to have a look at Unity. This is probably your thing. Don't forget though: the complexer the software the bigger the needs for a bigger team and the bigger the costs. You always have to compromise somewhere.

14. veira

veira Boxer

What he said.
    Maybe Buildbox 2.0 might have the option for coding for those advance users. But I would rather spend the time being creative with art and having fun experimenting than getting stressed with a line of code

15. harrisonbrendie

harrisonbrendie Boxer

o_O Lol I got off track here in my explanations. Way off track...oops. :rolleyes:
    As I said, coding included in a game development is fine. That's not really what I am looking for (it is a plus though if I wanted or needed to add something). Here is what I am looking for:
    A 2D program/software that has drawing properties along with game development properties. A program similar to Synfig Studio but where you can develop games too. Synfig Studio (2D program) is close to Blender 3D with the drawing properties, animation, videos but unable to develop a game.
    I haven't developed anything that is good enough for public consumption. Mostly just odds and ends while figuring out different programs. Seeing what fits my needs. Scary...:eek:
    Compromise has become a way of life for me. No big deal there. A good piece of software takes years to create. Then the Beta stage (at least a year or more fixing bugs). Then start the regular releases & considering ideas from users. The updates. I have time.:p
    I do believe I have lost my mind! lol :D
    Thank you, everyone, for all the input here. It has been great experience to see different views. Now, off to brush up my Python abilities...egads...

16. lfwgsxuuz

lfwgsxuuz Boxer

Flash is dead. I would avoid investing any time learning it now. HTML5 is replacing flash.

17. harrisonbrendie

harrisonbrendie Boxer

Ok, I just read my original post here. I did not mention code or coding. How did this topic intrude?
    Please, read it again.
    In Blender 3D, you do not need to know how to code in Python in order to create games, videos, etc. It is there for advanced users.
    Scratch is much more versatile, also, drag & drop, no coding (completely free).
    Construct 2 is also more versatile, drag & drop and different levels of use.
    GDevelop is also completely free (yes, can be used for personal & commercial uses like Scratch), a little more complicated than a drag & drop but very versatile. This one has options of making HTML5 games or native games.
    I feel my point, about 2D game creating software, has been overlooked or ignored completely. awww, forget it...:(
    My other point was also ignored. Why would I pay $2,000 to 3,000 (pay this much for a program like Blender? Yup, I would) for life use or monthly subscription at $99 per month for such a simple and easy program? I wouldn't. I won't. BuildBox has great potential. The developers are headed in a good direction for them and this software.
    One thing I've noticed both on the Internet and in person, people only pay attention to what they want to see, read or hear. It happened here. I got caught up in it.

18. Machine Rises

Machine Rises Serious Boxer

I think it's about finding the right tool for YOU. If you don't program nor do you even want to think about how to program then BB is the way to go. I really see software doing more of the work as time goes by so that the user can create quickly. In the beginning there will be many limits but as time goes by those limits are stripped away.

19. netkomm

netkomm Avid Boxer

You should be asking yourself if you are looking to learn programming - and making games as a way to learn programming OR if you want to build a business around it.

If you are into the art of programming (I have done that for the past 30 years so I know a couple of things about that...) then Buildbox might not be the right tool for you as it won't allow you that "artistry" touch that coding gives you. On that I agree with you.

However, if you want to build a business then tools, languages and whatever else are inconsequential to it. You could just hire a programmer, hire a marketing manager, hire an artist get a program/game done and you and reap the benefits.

I have used every tool under the sun and I came to 2 conclusions:

- we cannot master everything
    - time is money

Buildbox is a trampoline for those who want to try creating a business around making games. The eventual money that come and with the experience you gain game after game, can help you (us) achieve the next step where we could move more into the "artistry" type of development but free from the pressure that you must to do something to put food on the table. That it's a much more desirable position to be.

20. harrisonbrendie

harrisonbrendie Boxer

netkomm,
    You're reply is the best one so far. Thank you for your advice. Personally, I love Python language. It's great!
    But, this post wasn't supposed to be about coding. I got side tracked by another comment. lol I digress...
    As I've stated before, this software is good for some but not others. I am one of the not others. And you are correct, we can't learn everything and time is money. I am on disability (working hard to get off of disability).
    I am all for building a business around making games & videos (cartoons!). But, as I stated in my original post (see first post), I am looking for a 2D gaming software with drawing abilities, with example assets already loaded and it doesn't necessarily have to have coding (that's just a bonus).