Make Different Speed Settings For Physics Object

Discussion in 'How Can I...?' started by Phill Mason, Oct 12, 2015.

1. Phill Mason

Phill Mason Serious Boxer

Hi there, I'm trying to make a ball go faster in different scene's, but I can't seem to create any difference. I have my ball reacting to the physics setting in the overall game settings, which is fine, but in one particular scene I would like the same ball to travel 2-3 times faster. If I change the ball to anything other than a physics object, it doesn't interact and follow my platforms, it just flies off. I've tried using logic with no success. Am I missing something simple here?

Q: Are there any other settings I can apply to my ball to generate various different speeds other than the overall games physics settings? thanks.

2. Machine Rises

Machine Rises Serious Boxer

The ball is not your character correct? In your different scenes you could use transform logic and set to multiply. This would multiply the affected setting of the ball to what ever you want.

Phill Mason likes this.
  3. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

Use logic transform to modify the velocity of an object.

edwin_simonds and Phill Mason like this.
  4. Machine Rises

Machine Rises Serious Boxer

Much more succinct haha.

edwin_simonds and Andy like this.
  5. Phill Mason

Thanks @Machine Rises and @Andy, I've been playing around with Logic and it works great along the X plane. I can set 2 - 3 logic points along an X-plane platform and see the ball increase in speed, very cool. For some reason, when the ball drops from the sky, I can get it to increase speed. I'll try again when I'm back in the studio tomorrow, cheers.

6. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

Is it being affected by gravity? Can it fall faster than gravity? Just a couple bits to think about. I don't know the definitive answer to either.

7. Phill Mason

I’ve just found out that the ’Velocity Drag’ plays a huge part in these velocity multipliers. Mine was set to 25 and this is why my velocity distances were short-lived. It seems that regardless of 'X & Y Gravity' settings (mine are currently X = 250, Y = -400) you can only set logic transform to adjust the velocity of an object for a very short burst of time, with a velocity drag of 25. The LT effect only lasted for a few milliseconds.

With my VD set to 25, I tested the 1st LT to X100, the 2nd LT set to X200 and the 3rd LT set to X300 and there didn’t appear to be any difference from the X100 to the X300 setting. There were smaller, noticeable differences between 0 -100, but little to no difference above 100+. I then changed the VD to 0 and then 5 to test and the differences were huge. Having some drag performs better as you can gauge some distances with drag in place, whereas, with a 0 velocity drag setting, any LT spot will see your object zooming off-screen with a high setting. For now, I’ve settled on VD of 5 and this feels like a good setting alongside my gravity, to provide me with some velocity flexibility using Logic Transform.

I didn’t see any differences using the ‘Affect Operation’ of Add, Multiply and Replace throughout my testing. What results should I see from these settings? Thanks.

8. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

Add: will add the value to the existing value
    Multiply: is the product of the value and the existing value.
    Replace: the value will replace the existing value

Phill Mason likes this.
  9. Phill Mason

Ah ha, it sounds sounds easy when you say it @Andy :) Thanks mate.