iOS opinion question...

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by ruhm64, Jan 16, 2016.

1. ruhm64

ruhm64 Avid Boxer

@todro ... This man (assuming you're a man) knows what he is doing. You just opened a huge new world for me. Thank you.:D

2. ruhm64

ruhm64 Avid Boxer

Alright. After blowing out my eyes and brain, it is all figured out.
    Devices running 512mb are going to vary on the capability of this game works but this game will not. The slightest variables that are changed from an app that works on one of these old devices to one that it won't load is all because of those minor variables.
    Took like 50 hours to get this figured out...
    Conclusion... Making a simple game? Cool, it'll probably work. Making something slightly powerful? Don't bother... Unless it works on a test of course.
    Answered.

playsgames6666 likes this.
  3. todro

todro Avid Boxer

Checking your app seems to reveal the following:

So consequently the whole device is running out of memory and apps like mail are influenced too.

Therefore I see 2 possible reasons (besides the fact that the device has not enough memory in general):

a.) You are using a size different to the Mini's 768x1024 (most likely because of newwer devices with higher resolution), so I guess all images have to be resized which might consume more memory than it should

Did you use the recommended image size of 640x1136 (iphone retina)?

b.) The number of concurrent loaded atlasses is to high. See my explanantion here: https://www.buildbox.com/forum/index.php?threads/what-do-i-do.1565/#post-10056

As the app is hanging right after the splash screen, the problem is not loading a first atlas but I suspect the additional ones will cause the low memory warning.

Checking a simple app on the Mini1 shows that from 512 MB around 300-400MB are already used by IOS and the remaining apps. As I have almost no apps on the device, the chance of having an app runnning in the background is low, still 60-80% of the memory is already consumed when idle!

The running process (background) list could be checked when accessing the diagnostic data of the device when connecting it to XCode and checking the logs after the memory warning. (The splash screen automatically vanishes after around 1 minute, looks like it crashed but when you check the task list on the device it is simply moved to the background)

ruhm64 likes this.
  4. ruhm64

ruhm64 Avid Boxer

@todro that is what I came to find with the Atlases. I pulled all I could but it still didn't matter on size. What did you use to check these warnings? I am just curious and I bet a lot of other people are too.
    Sir, I thank you for all the great help. It is greatly appreciated. :)