iOS opinion question...

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by ruhm64, Jan 16, 2016.

1. ruhm64

ruhm64 Avid Boxer

Anyone have issues with iOS where a game will work on an iPad 4 running 9.2 but not on an iPad Mini 1 running 9.2... But all the other same apps installed work. Just a couple of mine from BB1.
    Are we just to target iPhone 5, iPad 2 (if iPad 2 loads it) and newer??
    Just an opinion question.

2. AndyG

AndyG Miniboss Boxer

BB games run fine on iPhone 4. See no reason what the mini should not run the game. Have you tried a reboot of the iPad and reinstall?

ruhm64 likes this.
  3. todro

todro Avid Boxer

I would assume it's related to the size as the Mini 1 has only 512 MB RAM.

From my experience, newer games (and/or with higher memory requirements) in general do not work well on the Mini1 compared to the Mini 2 or iPad 4

What's the approx. size of the exported files ?

ruhm64 likes this.
  4. ruhm64

ruhm64 Avid Boxer

I would understand this is being the issue but my iPad mini is near totally free and the app is 4.4mb. It is blowing my mind. LOL Plus, I just got rejected on an update from Apple for an IAP that isn't implemented. Ummm... I am pretty sure it is since it is on my Alpha test. Craziness!

5. todro

todro Avid Boxer

You might get this rejection because they do not find how IAP can be initiated (button etc.)

If you'd like, I'd be willing to test, I have a Mini1, Mini2, iPad4 and Air available

ruhm64 likes this.
  6. ruhm64

ruhm64 Avid Boxer

Yes. Also freed up as much space as I could. It will do the same on my iPod Touch 4th Gen. Start screen, hang, close...

7. ruhm64

ruhm64 Avid Boxer

I'll send you a message.

8. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

It has little to do with free space, it's the amount of memory used for RUNNING apps.

9. ruhm64

ruhm64 Avid Boxer

Well let restate that then...
    I cleared all of the cache and freed up as much space as possible in order to have the maximum amount of MEMORY to run the app...

10. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

This has nothing to do with it. The only thing that might help is shutting down any running apps. Devices have 2 types of memory, Storage is the space you have to install apps. RAM is the memory available to run apps. They are 2 completely different things. Cache utilizes Storage. @todro is talking about RAM.

Now separately I don't have any idea if that is your issue or not. Just want to make the distinction because it's important. If the BB game is using too much RAM then devices with less RAM will run the game poorly, devices with more RAM will run the game well. There are many reasons a game might use more or less RAM.

11. ruhm64

ruhm64 Avid Boxer

I'm not wasting anymore time on your level of knowledge for CPU, GPU, RAM and HDD and what has ill affects on them. You know it all, I see that now. Thanks. But not really.

12. Machine Rises

Machine Rises Serious Boxer

@ruhm64 you need to chill man. Andy gave some great information just now and is here to help. We all have outbursts when we're frustrated but it's usually best to go take a walk first then post here.

Kevin W and Collin Wade Thiessen like this.
  13. ruhm64

ruhm64 Avid Boxer

Nah, this is the perfect place for it. No good feedback. Just down talking to me and I am sure I am not the only person. Good, constructive criticism is allowed and uplifting feedback is good. But don't talk down to anyone. I am done here. His "information" given is not anything more than a F-U. Well right back at you. If you would have asked more background questions... Oh well, I am so over this crap. This guy is one that feels that paid subscribers don't need more documentation and support. Like the product is so solid that everything works absolutely perfect, 100% of the time. No. It does not. Otherwise the forum wouldn't be filled with vague answers or email support@buildbox.com.

14. jcalle

jcalle Miniboss Boxer

Hello, effects of light and flag, malfunction or not work on older devices.
    I tried several games created with BB, in Iphone 4 and 6, and the difference is very noticeable movement.
    The hardware is old, but I imagine BB requires more powerful hardware and more memory to run.
    For example, play GTA V on a PC with little memory and a bad video card.

Andy and Machine Rises just want to help

ruhm64 likes this.
  15. ruhm64

ruhm64 Avid Boxer

I am sure that @Machine Rises is a great guy. There is a point that is obviously not clear here.
    I use nothing special. I have enough issues with "Bullets" in my games so my artwork is all super lightweight and no special items, which I would love to use because if this BB worked right, I would be crushing my expectations.
    I can't type all of it out. I will drop a video soon. With all of my cheerful delight.
    (Edit)

Sorry, I can't do a video...

Last edited: Jan 18, 2016
  16. playsgames6666

playsgames6666 Miniboss Boxer

Do you have a lot of physics going on in your game?
    How about Logic movement?
    I have done some testing, and have found if you have a lot of objects moving about. it effects the performance of the game on older devices.
    Lot of physics movement in one scene will cause the game to lag like crazy, on on iPhone 4, but not too bad on iPhone 5 and up.
    As @Andy was trying to explain, with the RAM. When there is to much going on in a small space of a game,(physics) the phone can't handle it. Performance starts to lag.
    Its stupid but you need to try and reduce the physics in a small space. Maybe spread them out a bit.
    Example, i was creating a game with physics object dropping from the sky, worked perfect with ten objects falling, but when i upped it to 40 it started to lag, then when i spread them out across the scene it reduced the lag.
    Ipad mini was the stupidest thing ever released by apple, Steve Jobs would be pissed off with them.
    Anyway hope that sort of helps a bit.

17. ruhm64

ruhm64 Avid Boxer

I read this over in the email preview. I am going to try one thing I can change with any physics issue over my Baddie Hunt In Space game which is heavier on everything except for 1 screen option.

Baddie Hunt In Space works on iPad Mini and iPod Touch 4th gen without any issues. BRB with the update.

18. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

@ruhm64

Sorry man, not talking down. I'm trying to explain an important point. Free space generally speaking has nothing to do with how well a game will run. That is all.

19. ruhm64

ruhm64 Avid Boxer

@playsgames6666 I tried the 1 thing pushing a lot more physics which was the scene on the start menu. It had things flipping and such. Pushed it out and the iPad Mini and iPod 4th said No!... LOL But I just can't wrap my brain around the fact that these 2 devices won't take it when they have taken all 3 of my other apps that are very similar. I know, that leaves room for that little tiny bit opposite of very similar.

20. todro

todro Avid Boxer

For a quick performance check, you can use instrumentation:

1.) Export BB game
    2.) Run Xcode, Run the exported BB app like you did before (choose the physical device as target for the build).
    2.) Select instrumentation (see red mark, 6th icon): ⌘I

XCodePerf.png
    This should give some indication whether the problem is CPU or memory related. If that's not detailed enough, there are also tools like the time profiler etc.

tweettopix and playsgames6666 like this.