invisible object

Discussion in 'How Can I...?' started by kodagames, Dec 20, 2015.

1. kodagames

kodagames Avid Boxer

How would I create an invisible object?
    I use inkscape to create game graphics (vector) and I believe builbox uses vector (though we drag and drop png's). I've tried creating a square thats transparent but once in builbox it can't be selected.

I've also considered a regular colored square and hide it behind other graphics but selecting and positioning is a nightmare.

Does anyone have any suggestion on how to create invisible objects? Maybe I just need to use another program such as gimp or something?

2. brakewind723

brakewind723 Serious Boxer

you could drop a regular object and change its opacity in buildbox

3. madgicgadget

madgicgadget Boxer

I've done this like breakwind suggests. I used a 50x50 solid white image, that way I could discern it easily while editing. When you've completed building everything you can change it's opacity to 0 and every instance will be invisible.

bentforktech likes this.
  4. kodagames

kodagames Avid Boxer

Wow Thanks guys thats awesome! I never would have thought of that Thank You very Much!

5. bentforktech

bentforktech Avid Boxer

I made one in Photoshop with a 1% opacity and it worked. I would have never thought of a white one turning it off in build box. Thanks for the tip @madgicgadget

6. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

Actually you can make it very very small. I use 4x4px opaque images. Something colorful like red or orange (depending on what colors you already use in your game). Then go the object and change the scale to the form you need. Because it is a one color image you can make it as big as you want. Like 200x4 and you get a huge rectangle. Then adjust the collision shape by clicking on the square or polygon button again and it adapts now to the shape you scaled up. That's it and it doesn't use any space in your atlas at all.

7. madgicgadget

madgicgadget Boxer

@Christoph, that's a great point about saving atlas space and at first I too made it really small like that, but it was so small I kept grabbing the wrong resize anchors, because all the anchors were too close together. I would try to grab the top corner anchor that resizes x and y but instead grabbed the rotate anchor or just the x anchor. That's not a huge problem and it does save some atlas space to use a small image, but I found it is way easier(for me) to work with a larger image and my workflow is much faster.

8. ajcoryat

ajcoryat Avid Boxer

@kodagames No need for opacity adjustments. Drag an object on to scene. Go to objects on left side and find it.
    Click on it and right screen side, name it and then edit object. (click on pencil). In Image editor, click on object and hit delete button.
    You now have an invisible item that you can position anywhere in the game.

9. netkomm

netkomm Avid Boxer

with Photoshop is super easy. Create a new document of the size you need.

Just ensure to select "Transparent Background". Done? Just hit "Save for Web" and choose PNG as format and there you have your fully transparent PNG file.

10. trudnai

trudnai Miniboss Boxer

You can simply remove the Sprite of the object by selecting the object on the left and then clicking on the X on the default animation on the right. If you need to see where the object was on the scene then just turn on debug mode...