How Can I Boost Speed In Motocross Type Of Game

Discussion in 'How Can I...?' started by itzonator, Mar 22, 2018.

1. itzonator

itzonator Serious Boxer

Hey boxers and buildboxers :)

Motocross type of game has a preset in BuildBox so how to add a powerup that makes the character BOOST SPEED for 15 seconds.

In ACTIONS -> Action Type -> I see only possible solution to this GAMEPLAY. But when hit GamePlay, what possible options will do it? Tried with "Speed Increase" did not work. Tried with "Time Warp" did not work, only increases the game speed not the character speed. Basically played with all possible options with Character Gameplay options for that particular powerup without any results.

I am out of options.
    Any ideas would be welcomed.

2. itzonator

itzonator Serious Boxer

Hey @ZackGriset, any ideas here?

Trying to Boost Speed for that vehicle for 15 seconds after hit that Boost Button on Gameplay UI.

3. and249

and249 Avid Boxer

You may try increasing linear velocity on x axis.

4. itzonator

itzonator Serious Boxer

There is not such option in GamePlay properties for the character. Same properties for the world are into the character settings when have ACTIONS -> Action Type -> Gameplay

5. itzonator

itzonator Serious Boxer

Here's the gameplay settings in Actions -> Action Type -> Gameplay: https://prnt.sc/iy6n5k

Whatever I play with, does not boost speed for the character. I want to increase the speed of the character of this Motocross type of game. @ZackGriset

Maybe I can use Advanced Move, never used it and not really sure how to use it.

6. ZackGriset

ZackGriset Avid Boxer

Hey man, let's work on this together through messages. I got it to work for me, but I want to make sure it works correctly with your game set up. We will knock this out

7. itzonator

itzonator Serious Boxer

I am currently on Motocross preset of BuildBox and that's what I use in terms of settings for Worlds / Characters / Gameplay. I did not change much, but my character has 4 wheels, not just 2. Two big ones and two smaller ones.

Smaller wheel Speed 100, Torque 200, button activated.
    Larger wheel Speed 66, Torque 200, button activated.

Wheel / Physics is set as object. More details here: https://prnt.sc/iy72j9

How you boost speed on that?

8. ZackGriset

ZackGriset Avid Boxer

I was able to achieve a boost with Time Warp, but I know you said that didn't work for you. Can you send me your bbdoc so I can check on it? email me at zack@buildbox.com and we will figure this out

9. itzonator

itzonator Serious Boxer

Just sent the bbdoc file on your email. However, I think this would work best, if there was "Wheel Speed" and "Wheel Torque" in GamePlay Settings for the character. Wheels are objects, not characters, there's not much to do here. Why on Earth wheels should be objects? That's good for enemies, not for characters then?

Since that's not implemented in BuildBox, I can only increase the game speed via Time Warp, not the character speed itself. Yes, it creates the illusion that the character speed is increased, but everything else in the game is also increasing (moving objects / enemies). Therefore, with Time Warp enemies also have increased speed and it creates this weird-looking effect. Even falling objects fly like crazy with higher Time Warp. That's why that's not the best solution for speed increase of character.

But check it out anyways.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
  10. ZackGriset

ZackGriset Avid Boxer

Okay gotcha. Yeah, I had a feeling that would be the issue. I'll respond to you through email. I'm going to look at this some more. I'm almost positive there is a way to do this.

11. stevinz

stevinz Avid Boxer

@itzonator If you increase friction, or platform friction, using gameplay settings your wheels will make your car go faster spinning at the same speed and torque...

12. itzonator

itzonator Serious Boxer

All right, your knowledge of Buildbox is more advanced, probably you can think a way around
    Does not make much difference. This could work if I did not have wheels. When the friction is increased, affects only the character, not the wheels and creates this laggy type of effect. Tried also platform friction. Not much to do here.

13. itzonator

itzonator Serious Boxer

Under Actions -> Action Type (GamePlay) -> GamePlay Properties are Character Settings, not object settings. Wheels are treated as objects, not characters. So most of the settings there would be useless for objects / wheels. Since the character is connected to the wheels, and if I add friction to the character, the character would bounce back and forth, because it's attached to the wheels. Wheels are not affected by this change. Do you follow?

I think the entire "wheel concept" in Buildbox is completely messed up :) Maybe there should be two type of Wheels:

1. Wheels for characters
    2. Wheels for objects / enemies

Currently, wheels for objects / enemies is implemented in BuildBox

Both should be treated separately. @TreySmith @ZackGriset

14. itzonator

itzonator Serious Boxer

Here's my point exactly:

Check out the object with wheels and how it increases speed. That happened because I have a PowerUp with increased friction and time warp behind the scenes. When "press A" on keyboard, it boost the object's speed much better than the character's speed. @ZackGriset knows this game setup pretty well.

When I pump up those settings in GamePlay it changes the characters settings, but the Wheels are preventing that from happening, because wheels are not affected by some of the GamePlay changes related to characters. So it's like "imprisoned character" and the wheels are the chains to prevent any movements :)

ZackGriset likes this.