Coming Back After 1 Year

Discussion in 'Buildbox General Discussion' started by bluemoonstudios, Feb 23, 2018.

1. bluemoonstudios

bluemoonstudios Avid Boxer

Hi Guys,
    I've been out of the game making industry for around 1 year. I kinda just pulled the plug as things were getting too difficult to earn money. I got a full time job and have been able to save up some cash.

Not a day has gone by during that time that I didn't think about making games again.

I am seriously considering starting again (part time with my full time job). I was hoping to get some advice from you guys about how I should start over.

Is getting published still the "thing" that every game maker in here is trying to achieve?
    If so, do you have any tips that you can share with me that helped you get published?

I still have my individual developer license with Apple, but should I change that to a company to have a greater chance of success?

I guess I am just looking for some general advice on how to start over and give it a good shot at success.

Thank you guys.

2. AndyG

AndyG Miniboss Boxer

Here's some videos below to help you.
    I wouldn't think having the Apple account in your name or a company name would make the slightest bit of difference. It's just all about the game.
    And conventional wisdom is go with a Publisher. They can take anywhere from 60-80% of your revenue but 20% of something is better than 100% of nothing unless your very VERY lucky self-publishing. For every guy whose done it himself like Flappy Bird and got a mega hit on their hands there's 100,000 others that try the same and do... nothing.
    In saying that also read the couple of Blog articles with Buildbox developers Darius Guerrero and Jonathan Bencomo.
    https://www.buildbox.com/blog/

How To Make Money With iPhone Games

How To Send Games To Publishers

Published Game Design Manual

Hue Buildbox likes this.
  3. spicedbeangames

spicedbeangames Miniboss Boxer

Voodoo appear to be the 'go to' publisher right now. If accepted, their process is pretty straight forward too. They rely on a short video of your game idea, then a prototype. They are driven by metrics and retention data. This means that you don't have to make a complete game until it gets further down their process - adding bells and whistles, polish etc.

It takes just one game to be published by them to put a smile on your face.

4. bluemoonstudios

bluemoonstudios Avid Boxer

Thank you @AndyG for the videos and the reply. Very helpful.
    Thanks @spicedbeangames I will look into Voodoo and see the types of games they publish to give me an idea.

I appreciate your help guys

AndyG likes this.