360 shooter character rotation & some editor questions

Discussion in 'How Can I...?' started by bjedmondson, Nov 3, 2015.

1. bjedmondson

bjedmondson Boxer

Hi all,

I'm an original Buildbox customer but just NOW getting into game design.

Some questions WRT the 360 shooter format:

1) How can I set the game settings so that the character can move forward only and rotates to turn? Look at Atari's combat as an example of the movement I'd like to emulate:

I want my character to be a tank driving through maze levels. To get that tank feel I can't have the icon slide around the screen, I need it to rotate on it's axis while moving forward. I'm a bit confused about how gameplay settings will allow this, or if it's possible with the current build.

For the Buildbox team, The 360 shooter template has a counter-intuitive setting of game speed min/max of 250. If this template is supposed to be like Smash Tv then the screen shouldn't be moving. I went nuts trying to figure out why my objects were flying to the left until I set the game speed to 0. Perhaps a template setting to change in future updates.

2) In testing the 360 shooter maze layout I've encountered what I think may be a bug: when my character touches the corner of an object it flings me away from the object. There's a sudden speed increase and then I return to normal speed. I've played around with the friction settings and it doesn't seem to make a difference. Is there another setting I should be looking at?

3) I'm sure I'm missing this somewhere obvious, but where is a tutorial on importing art using Imagebox? When I drag a PNG from desktop into it and click on 'build' I get the error message 'please select any operation to perform.' I'm lost.

Thanks.

2. bjedmondson

bjedmondson Boxer

No ideas? I'm still puzzling this one out.

3. Phill Mason

Phill Mason Serious Boxer

I would also love to make a game like this, it was one of my favourite Atari games as a kid.
    I should think this is doable using the 360 gameplay settings, but remember, all these presets are simply starting points and you will need to tweak the game settings to get the feel you're after. I haven't had a play around with the 360 gameplay yet, but I'm sure if you set your character up using the joystick control with on sreen rotate buttons to turn your character left and right, that would be pretty close. Let us know how you get on.

4. bjedmondson

bjedmondson Boxer

Ok, I got rotation to work. To start, I set 25 as a value for right/left lean force and rotation drag. That way when you stop holding the < or > buttons you stop rotating.

Where I'm stumped now is moving forward/back in the direction of the 'front' of the character. This raises a few questions:

1) How do I designate the 'front' of a character object for moving forward and shooting?
    2) How do I move in the direction of travel? If I use arrow keys I just slide in that direction regardless of the rotational facing.
    3) I wouldn't expect to make a motor for this movement. A 360 shooter is top down so there's no 'platform' for the character to have traction on.

Still lost but making good time.

5. kodagames

kodagames Avid Boxer

@bjedmondson
    Hi, have you had any luck in figuring this out?
    I've been trying to do this for a space shooter type of game and ran into some of the same issues as you, with getting the ship to move forward in the facing direction and stumbled across your thread looking for an answer.

For the rotation I created 2 invisible buttons on the game field and used the "char rotate" for both directions but like you Im stuck getting the character to move in the forward direct. if you figure it out please let me know and I'll do the same.

6. ajcoryat

ajcoryat Avid Boxer

@bjedmondson I'm currently trying to get a helicopter shooter game to work. In Gamefield edit I have placed two buttons for CW and CCW turns and for forward motion, I placed the Joystick button that takes up most of the screen. Attaching a screenshot. The last button (the play button) is for shooting bullets. Screen Shot 2015-12-15 at 11.49.38 PM.png

7. kodagames

kodagames Avid Boxer

I thought of something like that and glad you shared it but I guess its just not possible for the character to move in the forward facing direction without controls while being rotated left/right :(

8. wayne_martell

wayne_martell Avid Boxer

But you have to be able to curve the bullets as well that was a main feature of this game I used to love it !!!