Why iOS and not Android?

Discussion in 'Buildbox General Discussion' started by dani_atrom, Mar 17, 2016.

1. dani_atrom

dani_atrom Boxer

Hi, I want to make 3 games with BB and I wanted to launch them on both iOS and Android since is so easy to do with BB.
    But as I can see almost all the games built in BB are launched only on iOS. Even those that are now on both platforms were on iOS at the begining, being launched on Android only after a mounth or so.
    What's the reason for that, it can't be just a simple coincidence?

2. wesam_badr

wesam_badr Miniboss Boxer

games in ios has a better chance to succeed than android as the last one is full with crappy games so most developer wait and see if their games get popular in ios and then think to lunch it to android or other platform

dani_atrom likes this.
  3. trudnai

trudnai Miniboss Boxer

iOS ppl are more likely to pay, Android ppl are more likely to steal your game and release it on "Dark Android Store" if it was not free and hacked to remove ads and stuff it was ad supported instead...

dani_atrom likes this.
  4. TheViseOne

TheViseOne Boxer

I would say that you have to go for both app stores. There is no reason why you should not publish your game on both of them. IOS is the primary market since there you can make more money per download.

If you will not publish your game on Android, then somebody else will do that. For example you can take Dan's game Almost Impossible. He released it on IOS, but not on Android. As a result one guy just created/cloned the game and released it to Play store, so it is in your own interests to release the game on Android.

For last 1.5 years top grossing games for me has been on Play store.

dani_atrom likes this.
  5. TheViseOne

TheViseOne Boxer

On App Store people will fake purchases and get access to all your paid content and you will not even notice that. This happened to one of mine unity game, we set up complete analytics and saw huge grey market. We saw 1k in IAP per day in our analytics, but in ITC reports we only received $5-$50
    Both markets has their hackers...

dani_atrom likes this.
  6. minibuilder65

minibuilder65 Avid Boxer

@TheViseOne I understand that you might be on the Android side a little :p but lets be honest there is hardly any junk on the app store and yes I do agree that both have a dark side with people getting the free purchase when there were meant to be paid and this because of rooting and jail-breaking. However, my opinion is that Android is a little worst. Again that is my opinion and from my experiences. :D So yes if it was me I would release it on both so then you are sure that people will not steal your idea and get money off of it.:)

Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
  7. trudnai

trudnai Miniboss Boxer

Yep I have noticed that too. Have you used any validation methods as per Apple guidance?

8. playsgames6666

playsgames6666 Miniboss Boxer

Its interesting to see peoples thoughts on this.
    As @TheViseOne said, i think you should do both stores, as for the reasons he mentioned.
    Weird thing i have found with the both stores, after watching the performance of my few games.
    After a few months my Google Play games take over in downloads and amount of plays.
    First week in the apple App Store downloads are good, depending on the game, and google play in the first month are bad.
    But after a few months on apple, i might be lucky to get 2 downloads a day, where as on google play my downloads increase to something around 20 to 50 a day.
    The thing with Google Play i do like is the section they have showing what your friends are playing, and what they have rated and reviewed.
    and their recommended section for games that are similar.
    Takes some time for it to happen but when it does its good.
    My ad revenue is four times the amount on my android games than my apple games.
    Its sad as i hate Android, but my last couple of games i have released first on android to see what happens.
    Over all though its based entirely on your game i guess.

dani_atrom likes this.
  9. TheViseOne

TheViseOne Boxer

To be honest I like App Store way more than Play store.
    App Store is just more stable and when it comes down to growing your business that is what you want, stable and reliable partner. Play store has banned more than 5 of my accounts, while I haven't had this problem with the AppStore(I have published the same apps on both stores with the same names). On App Store you can resolve things, on Play store you just hope that you won't get banned. I admit that I have tried many "creative" ways when I create my games and I believe that we as Indie developers have freedom to experiment with different things and from time to time we find sweet spots which bring us success.

dani_atrom likes this.
  10. TheViseOne

TheViseOne Boxer

Programmer resolved this in "guerilla style": Every time someone want's to make fake purchase - game shows them video ad :D

11. trudnai

trudnai Miniboss Boxer

Haha, I like it :)