The Proper Way Of Using Actions As Character Power-ups

Discussion in 'How Can I...?' started by mefistofelos, Jun 17, 2017.

1. mefistofelos

mefistofelos Boxer

Hi all

I'm having trouble figuring out how should this be done in a dogfight game...

1. Pick-up shields
      play the game, find a power-up, pick it up, shield comes up around the player (that actually interacts with the environment) after it's destroyed it vanishes
      Currently, the only way I see this work is by attaching a shield object to the character at the game start and once it's destroyed, that's it - I don`t know how to get it back...
      if I create an action that creates a shield as an overlay, it doesn`t affect anything, just stands there as a graphic, UNLESS I choose spawn option on the shield object within that action, then it affect environment, but remains where it's spawned (doesn`t stay linked to the character)...

2. Purchase/Choose Character upgrades
      I have absolutely no clue how this part works... so let's say I'd like to choose between different weapons & shields BEFORE game starts... should I create different characters for every combination?
      for example, 3 colors, red, blue, green... then 3 weapons, 1 bullet, 2 bullets, 3 bullets... am I supposed to create 9 characters in order to accomplish this?

3. Weapon pickups/changes
      I realized that the best way to change weapons is by creating action -> Type: Gameplay and create an overlay on character... unless I choose "gameplay" as a type, whenever I pick up new power-up it's added to the character, and I don`t want to recreate character animation for every weapon, so "replace" is not an option...

ok, enough questions, I hope someone will be willing to take a look at this because it's really hard to find an answer to these...