Stick To Edge - Android V.s. Ios

Discussion in 'How Can I...?' started by AppNasty, Oct 31, 2016.

1. AppNasty

AppNasty Miniboss Boxer

Any android app/game i make, i ALWAYS uncheck 'stick to edge' options for buttons and images etc. And it looks great, just as i designed them. But when i port to iOS, suddenly those images and buttons are jacked up. Then with checking 'stick to edge' option, suddenly they are where they are supposed to be. Why is it different between the two OS's?

2. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

I don't think there is anything wrong with it. Android devices are mostly 16:9. That's probably why. Just check all different ratio aspects in BB's preview and when they all look good, all different devices should look good. In general, use everything at the middle unchecked and everything at the border checked.

spicedbeangames likes this.
  3. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

Yes, this. :)

4. AppNasty

AppNasty Miniboss Boxer

I do all that. And it always looks great in play test in bb. Accept on an actual iPad. I stick with the general rule of edge, stick, center, no stick lol. And it works. Just not on iPad. I'll post more detail shortly. Gotta be something I'm doing wrong.

5. spicedbeangames

spicedbeangames Miniboss Boxer

This was a valuable learning curve. I had no idea about this as I was testing my next release on my Android device. Then @Christoph pointed out that the buttons and UI was a total mess. Thankfully, he also pointed out that BB makes it easy to track screen sizes in the player, so going forward - I can keep an eye on things to make sure there's no clutter.

6. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

You can flip between iPhone/iPad aspect ratios in preview and you should see exactly what you will see on the device, if it looks good on both then it should look good on any device. If you can't figure it out best thing is to produce an example so we can check it out and advise.

7. AppNasty

AppNasty Miniboss Boxer

I test in all modes. IPhone, iPad etc in bb. Always looks good. Until I put on real iPad. Unless you guys are talking about something else. My game looks great on all modes in bb.but on 5 iPad devices on display at MegaCon, the main menu stretches wider than actual device.

8. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

Have you tried changing the Screen Adjustment? Try the "Fit to Height" or "Fit to Width" options from the General Project Settings.

If that does not help then the best course of action would be to submit an example BBDOC to support@buildbox.com with a description of the issue. This will ensure we are all on the same page with what the problem is. We will take a look, verify and fix for a future release.

AppNasty likes this.
  9. AppNasty

AppNasty Miniboss Boxer

That was it. I always ignored those two options. Lol. Thanks.

10. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

Wow, interesting... glad it worked out. Buildbox preview SHOULD also be showing this. We will look into seeing why it's potentially different between preview and device.