Steering An Airplane

Discussion in 'How Can I...?' started by Niklas, Oct 29, 2020.

1. Niklas

Niklas Boxer

Hello!

Im trying to make an airplane move freely with 6 buttons but have come to a problem.
    2 buttons for up and down.
    2 buttons for turning left and right.
    2 buttons for rotate left and right as a barrel roll.

I can move up and down no matter which direction I am facing, the controls is always following the airplanes path. If I am upside down and push UP button I go down as I want.
    But the problem comes with rotating and turning, instead of steering from the airplanes point of view it steers towards the axis with the grid.

I have "movement node" for all 6 buttons. The movement node for turning up and down is "X 70" and "X -70" and for the turning and rotation I use the Z and Y.

Why is it the X axis works from the airplanes point of view and follow its rotation but the Z and Y goes towards the Z and Y axis of the game world.

Please help me / Niklas

2. Josh (Nology Games)

Josh (Nology Games) Avid Boxer

If it’s just for the barrel roll fracture, you could use a rotation animation note instead. It could perform the full barrel roll. If you want to have it so you can pull up from any angle of rotation, it might be a little trickier but definitely possible.

3. Niklas

Niklas Boxer

Thanks for the answer.
    It's not for just the animation, I want to have full control of the rotations, even if I'm going sideways. But since the movement node reacts to where I am facing on the axis a sideway rotation transforms to a loop gradually the more I'm facing towards the x-axis. If you understand what I mean. I guess a script in the node must be done to make; y-axis rotation to react and follow where the characters point of view of x,y and z axis are is instead of the worlds x,y and z- axis" which is out of my script knowledge.

EDIT: I guess the simpler question is, how can I make my flying objects orientation turn with local axis instead of the worlds x,y and z axis

Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
  4. Hue Buildbox

Hue Buildbox Administrator Staff Member

Hi Niklas,
    Can you send the bbdoc to me at support@buildbox.com, so I can take a look at this for you? Place 'Hue' in the subject line.

5. Niklas

Niklas Boxer

Hello Hue. I have sent the bbdoc to you now. Thank you for replying and trying to help!

Hue Buildbox likes this.
  6. Niklas

Niklas Boxer

My problem is still unsolved. Is there anyone that can help/script a rotation node to work with the character as the center of "movement rotation node" instead of the worlds axis. Here is a video of the problem.

Thanks!