Scenes often get reorganized in random order?

Discussion in 'Buildbox General Discussion' started by CHAF, Jun 27, 2016.

1. CHAF

CHAF Boxer

Hey all,

Lately I've noticed that the Scenes in my several Worlds often get reorganized in random order, with the Exit standing next to my Start, than the other scenes after that sorted in different random order.
    I need to reposition them but when a create other scenes, this issue comes back randomly here and there with no specific consistency.

Anyone else having this issue?

Regards

2. heathclose

heathclose Miniboss Boxer

Go up to the menu and find align scenes... The opposite is randomize scenes...

3. CHAF

CHAF Boxer

Thanks for the reply Heathclose but that is not related to the issue I'm having. In fact realigning my scenes when this occur make it worse since it reposition the scenes timeline to those unexpected places.
    So I end up with a game with the Start/Exit/Scene_02/Scene_01 order or something similar which make obviously no sense and is different from the order it was setup. I'll post screenshots of this issue shortly which really seems like a bug.

Regards

4. CHAF

CHAF Boxer

Here is an example of what happened a few minutes ago in one of my world. Note that it happened on two other Worlds as Well but in different orders. Very annoying.

Attached Files:

• Shot.jpg
      Shot.jpg
      File size:
      114.5 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
  5. CHAF

CHAF Boxer

World 01.

Those scenes are usually well ordered Start/Maze1_01/Maze1_02/Maze1_03/Exit
    and they ended up in those kind of orders quite often lately.

Attached Files:

6. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

If you can find repeatable steps starting from a specific BBDOC to duplicate the issue it would be a great help in solving this one. We have yet to see this in house to my knowledge.

7. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

I can confirm this. It happened to me as well, actually already twice. I tried to re-create it but never could. When you have over 100 scenes and they get re-ordered it's a real pain. Once I thought it had to do with copying an entire world, but as I said I couldn't re-create it.

8. CHAF

CHAF Boxer

OK I will try but so far I could not find a specific reproducible pattern since it seems to happen randomly when I'm working on a scene. I'm coping/pasting/renaming a lot of my Worlds and Scenes for quick assets reusability. I first though this could be related but not entirely sure.
    Will keep you informed for any reproducible steps.

Regards

9. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

This is good info, I will try banging around on some large BBDOCs.

10. CHAF

CHAF Boxer

OK so here is a file in which I'm able to reproduce the issue... It is not consistent though... And not sure if it will do it the same way on a different spec Mac...
    Keep in mind that this is a small BB file with just the basic... In my game the issue occur almost each time a copy a scene now and mixed up more scenes that this example. At this stage I have a hard time copying scenes at all which is really painful in my development process.
    So anyway here is what to do:
    - Go in World1 and copy the scene Maze_01
    - Go in World 5, select Start and paste the scene
    Note : At this stage The issue might occur or not if you go look in World3 or the other Worlds
    - If the issue does not occur go back in World5, select Start and paste again a few time
    - Go back and have a look in the other world now(Issue Should occur Starting at World3)... You should see the problem (The Exit scene should have been shifted to the left)... If not let me know please, I might end up sending you my game :-(

Regards

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
    Kevin W and Christoph like this.
  11. tanvir8955

tanvir8955 Avid Boxer

I ran your bbdoc in BB 2.1.0 in a windows PC and the above mentioned problem didn't occur in my case. I don't know if it helps or not.

12. CHAF

CHAF Boxer

Humm ok... thanks a lot tanvir for your input. I actually forgot to mention that I'm using the latest version 2.2.1 and was able to reproduce the issue on two different imac last evening.

13. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

OK, I was able to duplicate this. Awesome!

Let me clarify one point... in setting up the BBDOC the worlds are all copies of a single world. Then you just renamed the scenes, right?

14. CHAF

CHAF Boxer

Basically yes but doing so does not garanty the issue. I had to redo everything a couple of time to get the issue. Could not find the exact procedure to get to it everytime nor the exact sequence/moment when it start to bug. But for sure when it happens it just keep getting worse as you go.
    I'll investigate more this evening.

Regards

15. CHAF

CHAF Boxer

Hey Andy.... Found a reproducable pattern.

Steps:
    - Basically create a scene (Exemple: Avoidance Template)
    - Duplicate the first scene 3+ times (I rename the last copy to Exit, but should not matter)
    - Copy the World 5 + times (Did it 7 times)... Rename those (Not sure if needed)
    - Copy the first scene of the first World
    - Go to the World 6+, Select Start and Paste
    - There You should Start to have the Issue

When You'll find the First World with the issue, go to the Next World after that and each time the Exit scene (Should be last) Will be shifted 1 step further to the Left.
    Hope this help!

Note: It seems to be related to the amount of World... 5+

Regards

DMONGS and Christoph like this.
  16. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

OK, thanks guys, I think we have a solid fix for this now... working on getting it tested. @CHAF thanks so much for your efforts. :)

17. CHAF

CHAF Boxer

No Problem!
    Hope it was not too much of a pain.
    Looking forward for this nice tool to get better and better :)

Last edited: Jun 29, 2016