Rotating armature with spinning wheels on either end

Discussion in 'How Can I...?' started by ajcoryat, Oct 26, 2015.

1. ajcoryat

ajcoryat Avid Boxer

I'm doing a reskin of a BB Master Collection game. Using the model and improve idea for one game feature. See attachment mock-up. The original arm has the center of the arm as the rotation axis. I would like to add spinning saw blades on both ends of the arm.
    Obviously, the Blades will be connected to the arm using the connections. Setting the blades as wheels.
    But I can't seem to get the settings right.
    On one attempt, the entire arm ended up rotating from one blade. Not what I want.
    Attached is the current setting that causes the arm to rotate from the center of the rod.
    Now I just need the wheels to rotate.

Attached Files:

2. stevinz

stevinz Avid Boxer

Just tested, I'll do my best to explain. Sorry if I add extra steps you already know, trying to be thorough... So put a rectangle on the screen, set it to type "Fixed" and give it an Angular Velocity (looks like you've already done this part). Should have a rotating rectangle at this point. Now you add in the saw blade. The saw blade MUST be type "Physics". It can be "Collide" and "Destroy Character" if you wish. Draw a link FROM the rectangle to the saw blade. Select the link line you just drew and motor settings will appear on the right side of the screen. Give it some Speed and Torque values. And actually, thats it. :)

3. ajcoryat

ajcoryat Avid Boxer

Hi Stevinz, when you say the saw must be "physics" are you referring to the Object Type or the movement type?

4. stevinz

stevinz Avid Boxer

The "Object Type" dropdown is just a set of preset settings to help get you on the right path for each new object you place on the scene. This dropdown setting has nothing to do with the actual behavior of the object. Took a me a while to figure that out myself ;-) ... So anyways, I'm referring to the "Movement Type"

5. ajcoryat

ajcoryat Avid Boxer

Once the Saw blade is attached to the rectangle arm, the arm no longer rotates on the central axis. Setting the blade on "Physics" movement, the two attached objects fall vertically. Bear in mind the start position for the Arm is vertical (This is a portrait game) North/South.
    I need the arm to have the primary movement and the spinning blade as the secondary movement.
    If I delete the Saw, the rotation of the arm resumes as normal.

6. deondup

deondup Boxer

just do the rotation as an animation (images)

7. stevinz

stevinz Avid Boxer

@ajcoryat It sounds like you're not drawing the link FROM the arm to the saw blade (the saw blade should have the red dot signifying it is the child). If you draw the link from the saw blade to the arm, everything will fall from the sky as the saw blade is set as a physics object.

8. ajcoryat

ajcoryat Avid Boxer

@stevinz Bingo!! Ah, the subtle nuances. Yes I was drawing the line from the Saw to the arm instead of the other way around.
    Thank you so much. Mystery solved. :)

9. stevinz

stevinz Avid Boxer

Glad I could help :)

10. Abdou023

Abdou023 Boxer

How do you rotate an object back & forth?