Retina Display

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by eyal, Nov 28, 2015.

1. eyal

eyal Serious Boxer

Hi,

What size should the artwork, bg etc be for Retina requirements ? And how does BB handles this ?

2. eyal

eyal Serious Boxer

Another thing - Apple doesn't allow to have an app without Retina - What is BB status about it ?
    Our app is heavy on artwork

3. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

Buildbox uses iPhone retina and scales up or down from there as needed.

If you use images any larger than iPhone retina, and therefore need to scale down inside Buildbox, then you are just wasting memory and performance will be degraded. A limited amount of adjusting down is fine, getting as close as possible for best performance is your goal. Scaling up, in any instance that works visually, generally makes perfomance better.

ruhm64 likes this.
  4. eyal

eyal Serious Boxer

I don't understand what u r saying.
    R u saying that the games we make in BB are only good for iphone ?
    from what i get, we are making universal apps.
    being that it's universal then we must upload an image of how it looks on ipad as well.
    Does it support that ?
    Does it supports the iPad pro ?

If all we can use is iPhone retina (which size is it ?) then can't we make long scenes ?
    They have to be in the iPhone size ?

Thank you @Andy

5. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

iPad resolutions are (not) supported yet. They work with the output but it does not look very good. You can try with any of the games made with Buildbox and test it for yourself. Some abstract forms look good (Phases, Shadows, Bouncy Bit Go!) because they can be scaled up easily. But most elements do not. Including the fonts used for the scores etc are pixelated. I made some tests with an iPad Air 1. generation and it looks (in my opinion) horrible with a minimal design I used for my first game. At least far away from the idea of retina resolution and sharpness. Buildbox resolution is 1136x640px, everything above needs to be upscaled from there. But still, design everything with this resolution in mind because as Andy says, everything that is bigger than that will have to be downscaled by you anyway and is basically a waist of resources (atlas, memory, cpu). Hope Buildbox 2 handles this better.

6. eyal

eyal Serious Boxer

"Buildbox is the world's first software that truly allows anyone to create amazing games regardless of technical skill. Due to it's unique user interface, making games becomes a fluid process that doesn't require any scripting, programming or software design experience. "

I have to admit that it makes me very upset and a very unhappy costumer.
    Before I got BB I have asked if games like Crossy Roads for example can be built with BB
    I was told of course, it's just a matter of handling the properties in the right way.

There is nowhere on the site that says that you can build any game that you want as long as you make simple artwork that can scale up and that it's ONLY FOR IPHONE

Where does it say that ?

Why does it gives the opportunity of full hd/ipad2 in the simulator if it's not supported ?

And what does it mean ? that the app is only for iPhone and not universal ? who does that these days ?

VERY VERY UPSET !!!!!

@Andy @TreySmith

Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
  7. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

All the devices you mention are supported and Buildbox games work fine on them. The games are universal and Buildbox handles all the resizing. Your DESIGN resolution should be for iPhone retina and Buildbox handles the rest.

Jamie and netkomm like this.
  8. eyal

eyal Serious Boxer

Thank you @Andy for that. So what @Christoph is saying is not correct ? if so then I take back what I said.
    What is the size I should be design in ?
    What is my screen size limit ?
    Our game is horizontal

9. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

Design for iPhone retina, pretend your viewport is 1136x640 (or 640x1136 for portrait).

netkomm likes this.
  10. eyal

eyal Serious Boxer

great. but does the artwork needs to come in double size to fit the Retina pixels requirements and get it smaller in BB ?

11. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

No, you only need to create artwork that is iPhone retina sized. In other words use images that you do not need to scale down in Buildbox for best results.

12. eyal

eyal Serious Boxer

@Andy , thank you for that and sorry for not understand but what you are saying is that the background image should be 1136x640 ?
    not double for Retina so it can also look great on ipad ?

13. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

Yes and Yes.

14. eyal

eyal Serious Boxer

@Andy - 2000 X640 is fine if we want longer scenes ?

15. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

Yes you could do that.

I would make sure you go through the manual and tutorial videos. Then attempt to build a simple game, like the flappy game shown in the tutorials. Try experimenting with how the software works. Just using the software and trying different things will help you a ton.

Don't worry so much about sizes while you are building this simple game for experimentation. You will see how it all works as you go along.

16. eyal

eyal Serious Boxer

Thank you @Andy for that