Question About App Store Release Dates

Discussion in 'Game Marketing' started by jigglybean, Sep 2, 2016.

1. jigglybean

jigglybean Avid Boxer

Hi all

So something has been perplexing me for months now - and that's Apples 'new release day'. On Touch Arcade they compile an 'Out Now' on Wednesday to list and link to all the new releases prior to a Thursday release date.

Can any one shine some light on how this works or is Wednesday actually new release day? Any pointers and tips for best practice will be welcome too.
    Cheers
    G

2. Kevin W

Kevin W Avid Boxer

Toucharcade will generate their list through apps that are submitted to their forums or apps that they have already covered and especially the ones they like. You will also notice that a big chunk of those listed are posted via an (NZ) prefix, hence timezone dependancies.

So the list, something like this:
    A: They've already covered and like game / &
    B: Anything that they see that hasn't been embargoed at the time of publishing the post

As the scheduled release mechanism inside ITC is still totally broken, most choose manual and release Wednesday for 2 reasons

A: This launches your game officially around the globe on the correct day
    B: It ensures the Game is 75% spidered and Live in all stores if by chance you get a Feature

Hope that helps :)

Jamie, jigglybean and playsgames6666 like this.
  3. jigglybean

jigglybean Avid Boxer

@Kevin W - thanks for the insights. That's very interesting. You are based in the UK too, so what time do you normally release it globally?

4. ramiucef

ramiucef Avid Boxer

i think midnight , no ?

5. Kevin W

Kevin W Avid Boxer

there's no real "magic time" as far as I can tell - 12:01 UK forwards would do it - We put our last game live around 6am if I recall

ramiucef likes this.