Preview: Working On Split. What Do You Think?

Discussion in 'Game Showcase' started by Jollydo, Oct 6, 2017.

1. VectologyGames

VectologyGames Serious Boxer

Needs more oomph!

AaroArts likes this.
  2. Jollydo

Jollydo Boxer

hi @TimePassApps . Thanks for the suggestion. I already found it and played it. Similar indeed :)
    @5petersonzachary : I think the Dividr game isn't available in the Dutch App Store?

Working on polishing the game, and then adding some more scenes :)
    Martijn

TheGameAppStudio likes this.
  3. Jollydo

Jollydo Boxer

Hi @VectologyGames . Is it possible that you can be more specific what can need more oomph? More effects? Faster? Intenser? more vibrant colors? Other sound effects?
    Thanks ;-)

4. Jollydo

Jollydo Boxer

Ok for anyone who is interested in the changes I did to the game, see the video.
    What do you think @Eageron @AaroArts @Tarsier Games @Saravanan @5petersonzachary @wesam_badr @TimePassApps @VectologyGames ?

What i did:
    • Change the color of the game from red to purple-blue. I think it needed a more fresh look, it was too dark.
    • Gave the levels more depth by adding shadows.
    • Added some more levels (scenes). There are 20 now. Goal is 100 levels.
    • Made the UI more simple (the character selector - buying with coins - will be back in the game over scene)

5. AaroArts

AaroArts Miniboss Boxer

This is great. It's coming together really nicely man. Well done.

I have a idea, how about you use the magnet, and collect the power up, then have to split and it pulls in loads of coins from an inaccessible areas or something. That would add even more depth to the game.

Looking awesome though.

6. wesam_badr

wesam_badr Miniboss Boxer

it looks good man good work keep going the artwork looks fabulous/ make more of scenes that will need a key to open the gate toward the character like you did in 0.36

7. Tarsier Games

Tarsier Games Avid Boxer

@Jollydo Wow! Very nice man! I really like what you did with the shadows, it gives it a new dimension. :)

The color is much better then the red one, but you can also think of changing the color while you advance in the game. E.g. When a player reaches the score of 10, the background changes slowly. :)

Anyway, I smell a feature in this one! :D

8. Jollydo

Jollydo Boxer

Thank you @Tarsier Games . But I have NO idea how to do this: -> "When a player reaches the score of 10, the background changes slowly. :)"
    Is this possible with BB?

9. Tarsier Games

Tarsier Games Avid Boxer

Well, I know you can do it like I did in my game Jump Or Stay.

Firstly, you will have a Start scene, which can be 500 distance and will start from 1 and finish at 500 and it will have purple-blue background.

For example, you have 20 scenes with the purple-blue background and every single one of them will get you 1 point. If every scene has a distance of 500, you can set that every scene lasts from 500 until 5500 and that would be a total of 5000 = 10 scenes x 500 and you will get 10 points from that sequence.

After that you can set a scene with distance of 500 which will last from 5500 to 6000 and you can set a background for it to be a gradient going from purple-blue to a new color (e.g. green).

Now, you will have 20 more scenes with green background with 500 distance. You set every one of them to last from 6000 to 11000 and there is your next 10 points.

And you can repeat like this as much as you want.

I hope you understood what I was trying to say, if you have any questions I am here. :)

10. Jollydo

Jollydo Boxer

So @Tarsier Games , you are ColorBlind Stusios? I love Jump Or Stay by the way. great idea and very hard. Never get past 9 haha, feel stupid. So I watch da video of your game and indeed I can see the back color change.

So I think I understand you basic solution this this, a great one I must say. But how do I jump from 1 set of 20 scenes to the next set of 20 scenes, so how do I do this: "if scene points = 10 then jump to next set of 20 scenes."
    Martijn

11. Saravanan

Saravanan Boxer

In the place the path is converged right .In there I feel platform on both side taking lot of space. I would like a something like spinning star inside the platform that will really cool I guess.
    And I see you are working in background changes....as for as they are concerned I like the red colour also ...I would like to see the background change like ripping chilli (from To❤️ To Colour ) along with purple and blue which is great by the way.

12. Tarsier Games

Tarsier Games Avid Boxer

@Jollydo Yeah, I had a team of 2 guys (1 artist and 1 guy working on another software) and we were called ColorBlind Studios. We made 3 games and all 3 were featured on the AppStore. The studio was shutdown because I made some stupid decisions and was trying to make much bigger games. But, that is in the past. Lets solve your problem. :)

"if scene points = 10 then jump to next set of 20 scenes." - Lets make it easier. You need to have 1 point on each scene and you can make 10 scenes with purple-blue background (each scene is 500 in distance). You actually don't need a start scene, so you can then set all 10 scenes to have a start distance of 1 and an end distance of 5000. This way Buildbox will play randomly your 10 scenes with purple-blue background until it reaches 5000 distance and the player will collect 10 points.

Then you make another 10 scenes with green background and set the start distance to be 5000 and an end distance of 10000. This way a player will jump right into scenes with green background and start collecting more points until the game reaches 10000. then you go with the new background. :)

13. Jollydo

Jollydo Boxer

@Tarsier Games so you want to work solo now, or is your mind open for starting an other studio like you did previous?

Aha! ok, now i understand it. Never crossed my mind that BB is "actually traveling" the distance in a game, even when it is playing scenes randomly.
    So this distance is the same as the distance you can use as a score i assume?

Ok.. so now i can group together levels on difficulty and mach the back color with it. So set 1 is easy and uses a yellow back, then a set with orange back, then a more difficult set of levels with red back and then a hard set of levels (scenes) with purple back. Cool :)
    Martijn

14. Jollydo

Jollydo Boxer

@Saravanan I'm not sure what you mean by this: "In the place the path is converged right .In there I feel platform on both side taking lot of space."
    -> Do you mean the black platform bars are too wide? Or do you mean the light-grey-side-walls are too wide?

"I would like a something like spinning star inside the platform that will really cool I guess."
    -> so a spinning star inside a black platform bar? And what should it do then, so why? haha.

Thanks for your input!
    Martijn

15. Saravanan

Saravanan Boxer

I was talking about the light -grey -side -walls exactly. Just for decoration only :)

16. Tarsier Games

Tarsier Games Avid Boxer

@Jollydo Currently I am working on a game in Buildbox and I have hired an artist part time. However the game performs, I will continue to outsource art, until I become financially stable to form a team again. :)

Yes, an object is always travelling some distance. For the distance score you just need to set the score multiplayer which will be multiplied with the actual distance. When you choose to "stack scenes" in Buildbox and play them randomly, Buildbox sets your every scene to start at 1 and end at -1 (which is a value of infinity). In our example you want first background to finish at 5000 and the second one to start.

Its a great idea to divide levels by difficulty, just have in mind to raise that difficulty slowly and make sure you give the game to friends and family or some kind of a test group. You want them to tell you if the game is hard or easy, because its a big possibility that it will be easy for you to play, but for someone too hard. It is because you've created the game and tested it million times. :)

17. Jollydo

Jollydo Boxer

@Tarsier Games and to everybody wo want to know... i found some problems (and a solution ) if you want to use different background-color layers in a moving game and uses parallax layers:
    • a real background will stay there over all the scenes
    • you cannot stack several real background images on top of each other and then try to rearrange them so the correct background(color) will be the top layer for that particular scene.
    • you can only solve this problem by adding a colored object, using it as a Decoration and with no collide. But this has disadvantages. This object will block any real background layer. So all parallax layers underneath it will be blocked for example.
    • you cannot use gradients with this color-object-layer. Cause the game is moving, this object layer is also moving. A gradient layer will stack on top of each other scene after scene. The dark part of the gradient will join the light part of the same gradient in the next scene, which causes ugly seams.

SOLUTION: How to have different colored background layers AND have a moving game AND also have parallax layers:
    1. have 1 main real back layer in 1 gradient color, with not a lot of saturation.
    2. use parallax background layers on top of that.
    3. make bright saturated png colored squares of for example 320 x 284 pixels. Set them to 50% transparent. Put each color-object on its corresponding scene, with width x 2 and height x 4 (if scene height = 1136px of course)
    4. put this bright color mask object on the lowest object layer.

This way 50% of the real background and the parallax layers can bee seen through the bright-color-mask-object. The colors must be bright, cause when using them 50% transparent they will be 50% less bright :).
    ps: I needed to ad .002 extra height to the color-object in BB, otherwise - somehow- you would see a 1 pixel gap between scene overlaps.
    Martijn

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
  18. Tarsier Games

Tarsier Games Avid Boxer

@Jollydo Oh, I forgot to tell you about that. :D

In Jump Or Stay I also used decoration objects as new backgrounds. :)

I am glad that you figure it out by yourself. It is really exciting when you find a way to work around some problems in Buildbox. :)

19. Jollydo

Jollydo Boxer

@Tarsier Games I agree. It is the strength of BB that you cannot do EVERYthing with it. Its limitations is its strength because we become more creative that way :)

@Saravanan wow thanks for the tip. I made the side walls a lot smaller and now the game looks way better. Never saw that myself. Thanks :)

20. Jollydo

Jollydo Boxer

OK, a new update the the game. It’s almost finished.

What do you think @Eageron @AaroArts @Tarsier Games @Saravanan @5petersonzachary @wesam_badr @TimePassApps@VectologyGames , and anyone else…

The game is now called DVIDE by the way: Split was already taken :-(

I completely rewrote the game engine, did some redesigning, added extra scenes (90 now) and did optimizations.

Please let me know if you want to test the game, and/or if you have ideas for improvement.

TheGameAppStudio likes this.