PowerUp - Invisibility issue

Discussion in 'How Can I...?' started by sysads, Dec 8, 2015.

1. sysads

sysads Serious Boxer

Hi

When I assign invisibility to my Action object, I noticed that enemy objects disappears when the character touches it but all I want is for the character to pass through the enemy.

How can I do this?

playsgames6666 likes this.
  2. sysads

sysads Serious Boxer

Anyone with any idea on how to achieve this?

3. netkomm

netkomm Avid Boxer

can't you just replace the animation of your character with the animation of the power up? You could add a transparent PNG in the animation of your action.

4. trudnai

trudnai Miniboss Boxer

Or your object is a decoration and add your enemy to that through the animation editor or link them or just place them to the exact same place...

5. playsgames6666

playsgames6666 Miniboss Boxer

I think you can add an animation for defeated enemy, just place the enemy image in their with no animation.
    I think?

6. sysads

sysads Serious Boxer

Not sure I am getting any of this. Screen 1 below shows the moving 4 circles which are enemies and when character touches it, it dies.

upload_2015-12-9_8-2-52.png

Screen 2 below shows the same character but this time with the power up and when it touches the enemy, that enemy disappears:

upload_2015-12-9_8-4-23.png

So how do I stop the enemy from disappearing. I would assume the invisibility power up enables character to just pass through the enemies?

7. netkomm

netkomm Avid Boxer

ok... let's see. as @trudnai was mentioning, what do you have in the enemy "Defeated" animation?

8. sysads

sysads Serious Boxer

Nothing

9. netkomm

netkomm Avid Boxer

that explains it... when your character hits the enemy (and the enemy dies) the "defeated" animation is played.
    If you want to let them vanish slowly you could set an animation where the enemy slowly vanishes... instead of disappearing "suddenly" as it does now.

10. sysads

sysads Serious Boxer

Nooooooooo :( it appears no one is getting what I am saying :(

When character hits the enemy, the character dies - correct.

When I use the power up (INVISIBILITY), I would assume that should let the character JUST pass through enemies and not make them disappear?

11. playsgames6666

I get you.
    i just tried a couple of things. and yea the enemy disappears.
    Um not sure on this one.
    ill try a few more things when i get some more time.
    unless someone has another answer.
    oh hang on.
    try this.
    In your object (ENEMY) defeated animation, Put the image in their.
    You will have to add the image again under another name as it says something about looping blah blah blah.
    Just put the image with no animation no alterations and see what happens, Im not at pc with build box so can't check it right now. but will when i get home.

12. sysads

sysads Serious Boxer

@playsgames6666 i will try out your suggestion and thanks for understanding this.
    @TreySmith this is my first ever request for you, please advise if there is a way round this :)

13. playsgames6666

Ok i
    @sysads Ok i just got home tried it.
    Now in your Enemy object, In the defeated animation, you add your image in their, set it no collide,
    and spawn 1. you may have to play with the spawn rate depending on how quick you move through the game.
    As i said you will have to have the image object in their twice.
    as you get a warning about this will cause infinite looping.
    and that works fine.

14. sysads

sysads Serious Boxer

OK will try it also. I am at work now so would try it as soon as my BOSS stops looking at my screen :mad: and admiring BBox :D

So its obvious the Invisibility Power Up was designed to make an enemy disappear rather than make the character invisible :eek:

15. playsgames6666

Yea it looks that way,

16. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

The power up is "Invincibility" (not "Invisibility"). Two completely different things. The typical definition in video games of invincibility (aka god mode) is that the hero destroys everything (at least enemies) he touches.

Rebel Studios and TreySmith like this.
  17. sysads

sysads Serious Boxer

Dem, I can't even read :eek:

Just to excited about BBox

Christoph likes this.
  18. trudnai

trudnai Miniboss Boxer

Nope :) Sorry I did not have time to explain: Create an object which will be added as decoration, no collide etc to your scene. Now depending your like you have two options (or maybe more but these two I would suggest to try)
    1. Through Default Animation
      1. Open the decoration's default animation editor
      2. Add your enemy
      3. Tick Spawn Permanent 1 and give it a ridicolously high spawn rate so only one object will be created...
      4. Remove default animation for the enemy object -- that will be provided by the decoration object instead
    2. Through Linked Objects
      1. Add your decoration object to the scene
      2. Add your enemy to the scene
      3. Link them from the decoration so decoration will be the parent
      4. Remove default animation of the enemy as that will be provided by the decoration
    What is happening that the enemy child object will be destroyed and visually disappear from the scene while the decoration will remain -- although this is only a visual effect, if your invincibility timed out and you go back, your object will still do no harm to your character... If you need that you need to play with the spawn rate and pray to the Great Digital God to not to spend too much time on one scene to notice problems as I cannot see a way to limit number of spawned objects or "Re-Spawn-If-Destroyed" one (which would be nice btw)

What to use depends on your taste, but with the first one you can be sure that any time you add that decoration object to the scene you will have the enemy added to it too. With the second one you will have no such luxury, so more things could go wrong, plus no way to do re-spawn either.

19. sysads

sysads Serious Boxer

Thanks men, you are awesome. I think I have come to the conclusion that I have to tell my audience to use the power up to destroy any enemy they touch. The more they BUY the merrier they have fun with the game.

20. sysads

sysads Serious Boxer

OK if that is the case, what will happen when the enemy is destroyed and the same scene comes back during the game in an endless scenario. Will the destroyed enemies appear again? I am assuming so