Play Cooldown

Discussion in 'Buildbox General Discussion' started by DeadlySeriousMedia, Jan 15, 2016.

1. DeadlySeriousMedia

DeadlySeriousMedia Avid Boxer

I'm trying to get a game to have an endless mode without repeating levels. What do I place in play cooldown to prevent repeats? Any number I've tried seemed to not work.

2. Aaron F

Aaron F Avid Boxer

How many levels do you have? You will always have repeating levels at some point. From what I understand, the higher the number the more deaths it takes to show that scene again. If there aren't enough levels to go around it will ignore this and take the next at random.

3. DeadlySeriousMedia

I want two levels to alternate back and forth indefinitely. Seems silly to not have an option to cool down the time to display it again. If I have two levels it would be handy to have an option that says spawn level every x levels.

4. steve

steve Avid Boxer

@DeadlySeriousMedia I wondered what cooldown was. That explains it. It sounds like a cool feature (excuse the pun) but like you I can't get it to work. Without a manual it would be useful if someone could give a clearer indication of the type of value to enter.

For my example I've got 5 levels setup in the range 1080 - 3240. Each of the levels has a width of 540. So I want it to show 4 out of the 5 in any order, with no repeat. I assumed the number to enter would be a pixel amount, so entered 2200, thinking that would prevent a level from being shown again during that range (there's enough other levels in the range to show) but it seems to have no effect. I've therefore no idea what to enter to get it to work.

5. DeadlySeriousMedia

@steve Yeah, like Aaron said, it only tells the engine how many attempts the level should be displayed. So if I have two I can tell it to only play on of the levels after every other new game. This seems like a pointless feature. The problem with Build Box's random level mode is the repeating. I don't need levels to cool down from one turn to the next, they need to cool down during play.

6. steve

steve Avid Boxer

I'm glad you understood Aaron's reply, as it made no sense to me. But that maybe just it, the way it's been implemented doesn't make sense. I agree with you that I don't want levels to not repeat from one turn to the next, it's during the same play that matters.

DeadlySeriousMedia likes this.