Plannin To Upgrade To Sierra And Xcode8!

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by volcank, Mar 2, 2017.

1. volcank

volcank Serious Boxer

Hi All,
    I am planning to upgrade my mac to Sierra from Yosemite. I have 4 GBs of RAM but and 500gbs of SSD hard disk installed. It is working quite fast for now. Will my machine work same as before when I upgrade to Sierra.

Also Does Buildbox work ok with Sierra and does it support XCode 8??

Thank You

Volkan

2. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

It should work fine with Buildbox. But... if you are near the end of a project I would not update until it is done. The worst thing you can do is update software when you are near ready to deploy. I can almost guarantee it will cause delays.

Member_Game and volcank like this.
  3. volcank

volcank Serious Boxer

I am actually in the middle of the project right now. Only I am scared if updating will bring new bugs or other problems. I guess I won'T have to reinstall buildbox right since as far as I know Mac updates like iPhones almost. Anyway it might wait a little. Thanks for the advice.

4. trudnai

trudnai Miniboss Boxer

BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP! If you have a reliable backup you can do whatever you want to do, then you only lose time and your energy if something go south.

I use latest MacOS and Xcode for long time, no issues. Even before BuildBox was officially support these. But 4GB RAM is very low in my opinion. It should run, but if you can install at least 8G -- I have 16G and by that time I bought the MacBook Pro this was the max -- I needed for using lots of virtual machines for my work. BuildBox right now occupies less than a gig, but for bigger projects it can go 2-3 and even 4 before optimizing the BBDOC. And then if you run graphics editor software or animator, that can be memory hungry...

volcank likes this.
  5. volcank

volcank Serious Boxer

OK
    OK I will definetly back up. Actually I am a back up monster I should say. I always upload my work to dropbox after I make a major change in my project. That is from Amiga times working only on floppy disk not hard disk LOL. CTRL plus S is like my religion. LOL! :) For now I have Yosemite and I actually don'T have a performance problem too much. I even use Cinema 4D and After Effects render things out. So you mean it might get slow in Sierra right?? One of the main reasons is I would like to start using XCode 8 only because I would like to publish some sticker apps of my own characters( not buildbox) and most app templates use Code 8. Maybe I might use my wife's Apple Mini which we bought recently. That should have Sierra in it.Only for XCode. Because Sticker templates are only XCode. Would it be easy to set up Keychain in another Mac easily?? Will I download my certificate from Apple and set things up? I would appreciate the help. Thank You!

6. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

To transfer your certificates/keys you need to export them from the keychain tool on the original machine, then import on the new machine. It's the only way to transfer the private key. You can't download the private key from Apple. If you don't transfer properly you will need to re-issue the certificates.

volcank likes this.
  7. volcank

volcank Serious Boxer

Ok thank you so much for the great info!