Optimizing: Setting objects as clones?

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by defonten, Dec 14, 2015.

1. defonten

defonten Avid Boxer

Ok, here's the situation:

Let's say I have three original objects which I want to scatter heavily around my levels and alter their size rotation and position of course. Like having the whole levels composed of those duplicated objects/instances only. How should I set them to be actually clones/instances and not individual objects so they not take up valuable space in Atlases? Or is it done automatically?

Also, what resolution it is best to aim at while working and creating backgrounds/extures? I'm aiming at iphones5/6 and ipads only. Currently I have a few backgrounds which are 1920x1080px, but is it really neccessary as I think no one will play it in this resolution?

Thanks in advance!

2. energizerlithium

energizerlithium Avid Boxer

Bud, what you want to do is DUPLICATE the objects in the level. Like by pressing the WASD keys, you duplicate them instead of having to drop them over and over in the atlas. To optimize even further, you'd click on the duplicated object in the scene and in the top menu click "convert to clones". This will optimize the game greatly. You'd do this for EACH SCENE.

I'm not sure on what resoluton you should export your art, but I believe for the newer phones 1000x1000 should be good enough, but I'm not sure.

reegannaidoo likes this.
  3. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

Design your graphics in iPhone retina resolution for best results. That would be 1138x640

Jamie likes this.
  4. defonten

defonten Avid Boxer

Thanks a lot Andy!!