My Game Map Area Really Slowed Down.

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by volcank, May 21, 2017.

1. volcank

volcank Serious Boxer

Hi everyone,
    I am creating a new game with 18 levels and now my game map has lots of nodes connected but now the work area really got slowed. I optimised the atlasses and deleted all unused components, images, levels etc. It just takes ages even to duplicate a node node. Is there a way to speed up the work area? Another thing is, is there a way to optimize background? Thank you.

Thank You!

2. Astro Games

Astro Games Avid Boxer

What do you mean by levels? Worlds or Scenes? If Worlds it's suggested to have them not too much, just one if possible.

You can build background from tiles if possible. It depends of kind of gameplay and background itself what effects you want to achieve.

In my case I'm using 32 World with around 10-50 scenes in each of them and Mind Map works fine but after working on one of the Worlds for few minutes I have the crash each time I go back to Mind Map. So I do save each time before coming back to Mind Map. It happens 100% each time what is really annoying and one Scene is working incorrectly by avoiding my scene hierarchy what means the player moves behind elements which are on higher (in front) position so I'm assuming I'm getting close to BB max performance in case of handling elements. But I've seen here huuuuge Mind Maps so I don't know what is going on exactly. I'm using 640x1136 background bitmaps what takes a lot of place in Atlases. I could build each background from few tileable parts but as far as I know it is impossible to build World Background from more than one image. Maybe creating animated background from normal bitmaps instead of World Background could be a solution in your case.

volcank likes this.
  3. volcank

volcank Serious Boxer

Hi, Thank you for the advice. Yes I guess my main problem is my background which is also animated around 9 frames or something it is blinking in the background. I use it as background maybe I should import it as png and make all of them global clones. I also have lot of animated images even in UIs to give more liveliness to the game. I will see I might optimiz. Ok I have like 18 Worlds and actually each one has like 4 scenes not a lot I just did small levels. Only Mind Map works too slow. It is ok when I move around things only when I duplicate or try to connect the nodes it takes a lot of waiting time. Anyway Maybe I need to increase the Ram of my Mac that is an issue I guess.

Thanx a lot!

4. mserifitak

mserifitak Boxer

Oyun içinde bir süre sonra fena kasıyor nasıl çözeceğim problemi bir fikrin var mı?
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.yavuzstudios.zigzagjump i have same problem

volcank likes this.
  5. jcalle

jcalle Miniboss Boxer

How much Mb is the BBDOC?
    How many Atlasses do you have?
    How many Mb is music?

The big videogame I created was over 50 worlds, and it has never slowed down.
    BB only crashes if you have to access a lot of information, that is, if you have many Atlasses (5 o more).
    I think his videogame "Fidget Spinner" had more than 20 Atlasses, BB working properly and was never crashed?.

Last edited: May 21, 2017
    volcank likes this.
  6. volcank

volcank Serious Boxer

Hi ok The MB is 41 MB
    I have a total of 6 atlases and I am using total of 4 musics which are around 5MB and one is 17 MB I guess that is creating the problem. Ok now I reduced the file size to 29MB I did all the MP3s like 2-3 MBs but still the loading time is around 1 minute. I am using lots of animated big background objects to give the disco feel and the performance inside the game is superb but never thought it could slow down the loading time.

Also my background is animated around 8 frames and I also have animated. What I did was I created a total of 18 levels and also an arcade version of the game with all the scenes in those 18 levels combined. I have created an end scene for each level which unlocks the next level and there is a button which says next so you click on that and go to next level. So I have like 18 end scenes. I just couldn't figure out another way of doing it seems I have to have individual end scenes for each level and each of those end scenes have animated backgrounds. I would appreciate and advice on how to optimise the game more. Other than the above I removed all the unnecessary files including music and clicked optimise in Atlasess page. Should I use the background as PNG and make it global clone instead of adding it as background. Does it make a bigdifference??

Last edited: May 22, 2017
  7. jcalle

jcalle Miniboss Boxer

A 40Mb BB project is very large.
    Use low quality music (32KHz or 22KHz)
    Normally, I use 22KHz for effects and 32KHz for music.
    The total size of Music, should not exceed 5Mb, it is my opinion.

volcank likes this.
  8. volcank

volcank Serious Boxer

@jcalle Also my background is animated around 8 frames and I also have animated. What I did was I created a total of 18 levels and also an arcade version of the game with all the scenes in those 18 levels combined. I have created an end scene for each level which unlocks the next level and there is a button which says next so you click on that and go to next level. So I have like 18 end scenes. I just couldn't figure out another way of doing it seems I have to have individual end scenes for each level and each of those end scenes have animated backgrounds. I would appreciate and advice on how to optimise the game more. Other than the above I removed all the unnecessary files including music and clicked optimise in Atlasess page. Should I use the background as PNG and make it global clone instead of adding it as background. Does it make a big difference??

9. Astro Games

Astro Games Avid Boxer

Did you clean the project?
    My purging workflow: Tools/Remove... and all these menus twice and clean the atlases after it.

volcank likes this.
  10. volcank

volcank Serious Boxer

Yes I do it all the time same like yours ;) Seems I have lots of animated objects now trying to optimise them reducing those objects and sacrificing some of them :((( Let's see. The game works really good in my old iPAd air only when it starts LOL. It just takes too long time to load the game .I added like 4 mP3 so the players can select the music they like.

11. playsgames6666

playsgames6666 Miniboss Boxer

your game map area being slow could also be PC related, not so much your game.
    If your game is running fine on a device then thats good,
    Your pc might be struggling with it all. to much to process...
    Do you have many other programs running at the same time, etc,
    Just a thought..

12. Astro Games

Astro Games Avid Boxer

What do you mean by long loading time?
    Did you try BB 2.2.9 beta? They say it's a huge progress in optimizing. Be careful because 2.2.9 can damage source files so work on copies only.

volcank likes this.
  13. volcank

volcank Serious Boxer

Hi, I mean when it loads on the device. I am actually cautious using 2.2.9 because it behaves much different than 2.2.8. The fidget spinner app I did behaved totally differnet when I opened that up in 2.2.9 but still I might try this game in 2.2.9. Let me check it out ;) Thanx :)

Astro Games likes this.
  14. jcalle

jcalle Miniboss Boxer

Hi, if you want, I can show you how to optimize your game (teamviewer).

volcank likes this.
  15. volcank

volcank Serious Boxer

Hi it's ok now I made it . Phew. U know what I did I had imported 4 mp3 files so player select and play any of them by touching to a button. But in order for first song to start I had to connect the load to en empty UI and then redirect it to the start scene. But this created a bug in Buildbox so instead I now lead the start to main menu straight then in game over screen I give the option to select music. But still even up to now this process helped me to optimise my game so it went down to 28MBs :) Thank you so much for your help and support but good to know that we can help each other by teamviewer.

Regards

Volkan

jcalle likes this.