Main Menu Field

Discussion in 'Buildbox General Discussion' started by pfg215, Jan 15, 2016.

1. pfg215

pfg215 Avid Boxer

I don't understand Main Menu Field is for... It's set up in the level creator??? What can you set up in the main menu field?

Attached Files:

2. dougsavage1

dougsavage1 Boxer

looks redundant to me. Unless it's like a scene for you to display buttons for each world.

pfg215 likes this.
  3. rcdub

rcdub Boxer

@dougsavage1 I think that's its main use, but...
    @GTE Games also noticed in your latest video that you were wondering about this too. Didn't wanna double post it (awesome videos by the way, keep it up)

TL;DR: It seems redundant but I don't think it's possible to have a world selector screen without it. Also, you can potentially do some amazing things with the menu scene by allowing the character to move to select a world instead of click a button.

I think the Main Menu Field is a necessity to keep the game running properly if you choose to have some type of World Selector in the game. Otherwise, it shouldn't be necessary. I'm assuming they set up the Menu Jump so that it can only connect to other Scene Screens instead of directly to a UI Screen.

If you had the worlds connect to one another, then your character is moving from World to World (one Scene Screen to the next). So, if you want your character to complete a World then get redirected to a World Selector screen, you'll have to send the Menu Jump from your World Scene to some placeholder Scene Screen that has a UI with the world select buttons inside of it. That's what is done in your picture. The Field is setup to have the UI for World Select, but there is nothing actually inside of the Field because it's just a placeholder for transitioning from the worlds to a select screen. Does this make sense?

BUT you can so some really really awesome things by allowing the character to actually move around to select new worlds rather than just click a button.
    Screen Shot 2016-01-17 at 1.14.41 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-01-17 at 1.14.49 PM.png
    Instead of using buttons, you could setup the Main Menu to actually be a playable experience for the player (see pics). Could move your character around to jump into the worlds. Or jump into a character select screen, an info scene, etc (you'll just have to make sure you have Scene Screens for those too).

4. pfg215

pfg215 Avid Boxer

You my friend, are creative!

rcdub likes this.
  5. dougsavage1

dougsavage1 Boxer

@rcdub I might take and use your idea later haha

pfg215 likes this.
  6. rcdub

rcdub Boxer

Haha go for it man, you can put together some really cool interactive menu systems now. Can imagine some awesome things for more complicated, adventure type games especially

pfg215 likes this.
  7. pfg215

pfg215 Avid Boxer

BB2 really opens up a whole new world!