Is There Specific Name To Call Those Design Style?

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by klkev, Jul 9, 2018.

1. klkev

klkev Boxer

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

I mean those design looks simple, comfy, pastel tone color, simple yet looks decent and high quality
    practically the design we see everywhere nowadays lol

Is there name for this style?

2. and249

and249 Avid Boxer

I want to name it "The Pastel Design" :p

3. jmiller8031

jmiller8031 Avid Boxer

Simple games have simple art. Why would you spend a long time on art if all you’re doing is tapping a screen to jump over a spike?

It looks that way because it’s easy and for some reason everyone thinks they have to use Photoshop’s gradient tools. There’s no name for it. Someone did it in a game and others copied it because it’s easy.

4. thatguyminib

thatguyminib Serious Boxer

I wouldn't necessarily say those art styles are easy lol and you spend a long time on art because it adds to the feel of the game. Sure the gameplay may be simple but to make a great game it goes WAY beyond the gameplay and art is one of the aspects that make a great game.

adrogdesigns likes this.
  5. Kevin W

Kevin W Avid Boxer

Minimal / Low Poly.

6. jmiller8031

jmiller8031 Avid Boxer

I’m not saying they look bad, but compared to what is involved in the look development in more complex games where you have to do concept art, modeling, rigging, animation, UV mapping, texturing, and shader setups, this stuff is pretty easy.

It has nothing to do with how well the game plays or if the design is really appealing. I’m talking about workload.

7. PLASSA

PLASSA Boxer

I think these fall under the Minimal, Simplistic, Flat, Low Poly, Pastel, Gradient, Isometric art style. If you mix match these keywords in google images I'm sure you'll find the right combination for what to show to your designer / get inspiration :D

(Ps. i don't think he was asking if the style looks good or not, so not sure why people are answering if they like it or not Bwahahahaha)

klkev likes this.
  8. jmiller8031

jmiller8031 Avid Boxer

Alto’s Adventure and Monument Valley are good examples of minimalism in game design if you’re looking for reference. I never stated if I liked these designs or not. I was just trying to explain why you see this stuff so often and why it doesn’t really have a name. People are seeing successful games with a particular style that’s easy to emulate, but hard to master. Some succeed, some fail.

I guess what I’m trying to say is if you like this look, make sure you’re looking at good examples, which can be hard to distinguish if you’re a beginner. It’s not as easy as picking a few colors and throwing some gradients in if you really want to pull off a minimalistic design scheme.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  9. AppNasty

AppNasty Miniboss Boxer

Attractive visuals = Better eye catcher. It's a strategy to lure people to play. Doesn't matter if the game is 10 seconds long lol.