How Much Money Does It Take To Make Indie Game A Success?

Discussion in 'Buildbox General Discussion' started by HarryMG[New], Jun 12, 2018.

1. HarryMG[New]

HarryMG[New] Boxer

Hi there. I would like to know some of your insights regarding this topic. Do you need money (not that huge) in order to make your game a success. Let's say, you are an indie game developer and would not use a publisher, how much you need to make your self made game a success considering the developer registration, ads and other things to make your game known and spread to many people?
    Thanks

2. patostar

patostar Avid Boxer

Good question, but I think the most important thing is to make a game that makes users interested in playing it, good graphics and animations, you can buy these artworks if you don't know how to design, a lot of them are cheap, or you can buy source codes and reskin them, but don't forget app store optimization that helps a lot to bring you more downloads.

3. jmiller8031

jmiller8031 Avid Boxer

There is no set number. It all depends on what you can afford and how quickly you want to gain traction. None of it matters unless you have a hit game on your hands. So if this is your first time, spend a little on advertising and see if you get anywhere. If it doesn't gain in popularity and generate a buzz then your game isn't that good. Advertising doesn't make your game a success. It just gets the word out and could backfire if your game sucks. Success comes from making a good game.

4. jerry

jerry Avid Boxer

Hey @HarryMG[New] , I agree with @jmiller8031, a games success first and foremost your game has to be GOOD!! What makes a good game? POLISH, POLISH, POLISH!! The biggest investment is going to be your personal development TIME! You can't throw a game together real quick and expect it to be a success. It has to be FUN, LOOK GOOD, and FEEL GOOD!! Of course that won't guarantee success. Too many factors to list. Of course, I'm still working on first game so take my notes with that in mind.