General Game Release Question

Discussion in 'Game Showcase' started by TSim712, Jul 28, 2020.

1. TSim712

TSim712 Boxer

After a month of learning, I've completed my first game. I set my goal to release in on Aug 1st and had a few questions for the veteran developers.

I spent most of the last 30 days reading the code of the asset scripts in the templates. A lot of my game was done using Buildbox's supplied graphics and nodes, and a lot of my own scripts since that is what I'm conformable doing. I've been programming for many years but have never considered creating games or anything with any physics. Yes, boring business UI and Databases for a couple decades.

My question concerns the actual release. I have a few friends testing the game on their Android Phones, and I know there are many improvements to be made, but when should the game be released to the public? That is where the harsh feedback will help improve future development, but I don't want to release before the game is at least playable on a majority of devices with minimal bugs.

Is the acceptable process to post the game to Google Play, etc, get the feedback, and fix the issues? Or is there a better way for Beta testing before releasing the game to the general public?

I've been reading the forums, and me and my daughters have already started working on new concepts for future games. This is a great outlet for their creativity and I just want to make sure we are following the correct path.

Thank you all...

2. Mothy9999

Mothy9999 Boxer

Google Play does allow you to release games in beta form (and alpha afaik) for you to do real world testing if you so wish. Testflight on iOS is a good way to beta test without releasing to the public.
    You might want to release a beta first on Google Play and see what gamers say before releasing it fully.

Josh (Nology Games) likes this.
  3. deyren

deyren Boxer

i agree you must first publish a beta on google play.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
  4. TSim712

TSim712 Boxer

Thanks for the suggestion. Im reading up on the Beta testing right now.. To be honest, Google seems to be the highest of the learning curves so far. Buildbox has made everything else a pleasure to learn. I started a puzzle game about an hour ago and already have most of the backend done. Ill let my daughters make it pretty. Good morning all...