Game Loading Time

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Nasser, Aug 6, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Nasser

Nasser Boxer

Hello,

I'm just wondering what is the average game loading time, My game taking around 45 seconds to load and i don't think end users will be happy waiting.

I did the game map this way (attached) so to unlock the next level only when the target distance is achieved and i couldn't find any other way.

I have did optimized the atlasses and did all possible ways but still the game load time is to long for my perceptions.

1) Can anyone advise what is the average loading time you have and if there is any other way to reduce it ?
    2) Is there a way to unlock next level in better way (I believe this what makes the loading time longer) !?

The Idea is 9 levels, Each level require different distance score to achieve, Once achieved the next level will be unlocked.
    Screen Shot 2016-08-07 at 02.01.53.png

2. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

The loading time depends on several factors:
    1. The device
    2. Amount of atlasses
    3. Amount of spawners
    4. Amount of wake up elements
    5. Amount of connections
    6. Amount of power ups

(I think this are all)

BB2, the more worlds you have the more it will struggle. This is a real problem and I read that the Buildbox team is working on it. @TreySmith even posted on facebook that a future version of Buildbox 2 will be 4 times faster. But this was 2 months ago and nothing did happen.

fb post.png

You can look at the game Slip Away. The new version has challenge modes and what not and takes very long to load. People seem not to care though. At the moment just make sure you use all tools in the tools section. Run them twice to see there is nothing more to optimize.

3. Nasser

Nasser Boxer

@Christoph

Thanks for the details and yes i do have many of spawners, wakeup...etc
    I have deleted all the levels and left only one (All levels are copy/pasted - meaning; clone of the first level) but still the loading time is to long.
    I believe deleting levels should minimize the amount of elements, But seems this didn't fix the loading time also.

Anyway, thanks again and hope BB team will do something about it.

Christoph likes this.