Game crashes on Mac and on iDevice

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by defonten, Feb 16, 2016.

1. defonten

defonten Avid Boxer

Hey guys

I got about 23 not so highly populated by objects scenes, 6 atlasses and one mp3 playing on all menu screens. But it keeps crashing randomly - during gameplay, menu screens etc. What to start checking first? Thanks!

2. todro

todro Avid Boxer

Check the crash log on the device: Privacy -> Diagnostics & Usage -> Diagnostics & Usage Data (or in Xcode->devices with connected device) for either "Last Crash" or a crash line for pzplayer

The following lines should be of interest:

Exception Type
    Triggered by Thread: xx
    Thread xx name

Actually I would still recommend to reduce the # of atlasses to 2-3 to reduce memory consumption (at least this should not be the cause for the crashes on Mac)

Are the errors on Mac identical to the device errors, which devices ?
    Did you export and create a MAC app or are you referring to crashes when run in the XCode simulator ?

3. defonten

defonten Avid Boxer

Hmm.. 2-3 atlasses wouldn't be enough I'm afraid.. but ok, I'll try to make some objects smaller. But yes if it would be the case - it wouldn't crash on Mac. Because on a Mac I have 32Gb of memory..

Yes, it just crashes and exits randomly on my Mac on a Buildbox Preview/Gameplay window. The same thing goes on on my Iphone 5 and Ipad2. it crashes in BB preview and in Xcode "preview on device"..

4. defonten

defonten Avid Boxer

Thread 0 name: Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Any thoughts? Still crashing..

5. Collin Wade Thiessen

Collin Wade Thiessen Avid Boxer

I had something happen like that where I deleted a object from the panel on the left hand side but did not delete the object in the scenes. All objects changed into the those untitled empty boxes and it would crash in the preview on those scenes only. Good luck with your hunt, I would send the bbdoc into support for them to take a look tbh.

defonten likes this.
  6. defonten

defonten Avid Boxer

@Collin Wade Thiessen
    Yess exactly that was the effin' case! Pity I didn't see your post earlier - I had to figured that out by deleting everything in "problem" scenes! Actually it took some time for me to understand that there are particular scenes that crash the game - got it only after aligning all scenes one after the other and noticing on which scene it freaks out. Those sneaky Untitled placeholders were crashing the whole thing on a Mac and on the device! Thanks a lot anyways man!

7. Collin Wade Thiessen

Collin Wade Thiessen Avid Boxer

Happy you figured out. cheers

defonten likes this.