Death Counter

Discussion in 'How Can I...?' started by duslicrest, Sep 25, 2016.

1. duslicrest

duslicrest Boxer

How can I make a system where everytime my character dies, it adds a point to the Death Counter, one thing I've done to do this is add an action that gives me one point when hitting it next to every enemy, but its really easy to hit the action without dying and sometimes you die without hitting the action, and it is also really annoying and tedious to do, is there a better way to do this?

2. heathclose

heathclose Miniboss Boxer

copy and paste the action into the death animation of the enemy that kills you... but it would mean you need it to die also... not sure that works for your gameplay... actually never tried it but I wonder what happens if you copy and paste it into the character's death animation

3. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

This wouldn't work as when you die you don't pick up any actions anymore.

@duslicrest: I think for the gameplay you have there is no way to achieve what you want, unfortunately. I brainstormed as well and couldn't think of anything that would work.

4. DeadlySeriousMedia

DeadlySeriousMedia Avid Boxer

You make a coin or point action and you attach it to each enemy with a joint. Make sure there is an action for each enemy so you can match up hit boxes. When the player collides with the enemy they also get the point. I've done this before and it works so long as you are willing to go through the effort of making all those joints happen. It's tedious. You may be able to copy/past an action into the enemy default animation though. Then the player will hit is before death. This might be easier if it works.

5. Shawh

Shawh Boxer

Maybe this'll work? File attached below. @duslicrest

Attached Files:

6. duslicrest

duslicrest Boxer

Thanks guys! I appreciate your help, I will try these.

7. cpullma1

cpullma1 Boxer

I am new to BB but I thought of something that might work, I gave it a try and I think it works the way you want it to. Create an empty action that does nothing, this is kind of a dummy action that we will use to keep track of the deaths. Go into your World UI and create an action button which will have no images, no refills, and has its action set to your dummy action. The action button will not actually be used as a button, but will be a way for us to use its label to keep track of the death count so set the scale up to something that will work for you. Now finally you will create a purchase button in the Game Over UI with no images, its action set to the dummy action, turn off buy and use, set the quantity to 1, and set for one time use.

That way when you die you will go to your game over screen, and when the player presses the Continue button you will be adding 1 to the action button and will be displayed with its label to show the current count of deaths.

ahmeda89, Christoph and heathclose like this.
  8. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

Perfect idea. Thank you!

Actually put the action above the start button and the retry button so it always counts one "death" to your game progress before you even start the game. Then inform the user about the count in the Game Over UI. Works great!

9. cpullma1

cpullma1 Boxer

That's awesome, I'm glad it works!

10. SanballiGame

SanballiGame Boxer

I also thinked to do like that, but i have to use both points and coins in my game what do i can do now ? ;/
    What i can use as a indicator or counter ? ;/