...climb a ladder?

Discussion in 'How Can I...?' started by heathclose, Feb 13, 2016.

1. heathclose

heathclose Miniboss Boxer

Is this possible? to have a character climb a ladder?

2. rizwanashraf

rizwanashraf Avid Boxer

I would really like to know if its possible, What i can think of is using action to play with Y Value. Not sure.

3. sysads

sysads Serious Boxer

Hmm not sure if bb2 advanced feature will handle this bcos if you use action, then xter will automatically climb up without you pressing the up button or arrow up

4. rizwanashraf

rizwanashraf Avid Boxer

What if we keep 0 at Y and when character collides with ladder action then Y value changes to something else and then on top of ladder again back to 0 with another action ? X Value stays the same.

5. sysads

sysads Serious Boxer

I know but like I said, instead of having ability to press upwards and stopping halfway when you stop to press, then your xter just moves up on its own without you telling it to.

Imagine having 2 or more ladders and you want to climb on ladder 2 or 3, what will happen if you use logic (I am assuming this is what you meant rather than action) on all ladders is you end up climbing up on ladder one rather than passing it :)

Also if you use advanced move in BB2 since its got an Event Trigger for instance assigned to a button, that would probably work since you can change the liner velocity but that would not enable you to stop halfway the ladder as you may want to return downwards in case an enemy is coming down on you :D

6. rizwanashraf

rizwanashraf Avid Boxer

Lets forget about Actions, Advance Move etc etc ... I just achieved it with collision shapes with Jump ..
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/4twsscxvyzq69wg/Ladder.bbdoc?dl=0
    :D

7. sysads

sysads Serious Boxer

Don't get me wrong, what you did was simply upward jump and landing on a platform that depicts a step. This is fine but I was thinking of ability to climb upwards with a climb animation and been able to climb downwards at same time. This will only enable you jump upwards

8. rizwanashraf

rizwanashraf Avid Boxer

Yes, There will be a downside of this what i did here, You cannot use Animations of climbing. I am aware of how Ladder thing works i just tried some hack here :D

9. sysads

sysads Serious Boxer

Ideally this should have worked but not sure why - Move Up and Move Down function:

upload_2016-2-14_16-59-45.png

10. rizwanashraf

rizwanashraf Avid Boxer

Actually the only problem with up and down is you can up and go down anywhere if you set Y value. buttons should work but then the mechanism of ladder will go off or maybe if use a path ? have you tried path ? Beta3 Crashes on path so far

11. sysads

sysads Serious Boxer

Oh I see, if that is the case, then the concept of a real ladder cannot be achieved except your option of jumping upward.

As for path :( this is all that is keeping one of my games from completion. Still pondering how path worked for SKY and not ME :mad: and yes I am still having issues with it and have not bothered to try again.

12. rizwanashraf

rizwanashraf Avid Boxer

I cant wait to see your game. i am also working on 6 prototypes and stuck with crashes. waiting for the stable version so i can move on.

andreas_kviby likes this.
  13. andreas_kviby

andreas_kviby Avid Boxer

Hmm. Same here, have two really fun games that will be able to get released as soon BB2 gets stable. I wonder how the heck they did "The Pit" that stable and good with BB2.

mobile_gamegraphics likes this.
  14. wesam_badr

wesam_badr Miniboss Boxer

the first version of the pit was lagging in my device and it wasn't fast as i saw in the trailer but with last update it become stable and fast so i think you are right.

15. Phoebe

Phoebe Serious Boxer

Any Update for the ladder ? I Need it for my game ;)

16. 5petersonzachary

5petersonzachary Serious Boxer

You could use a path

17. Phoebe

Phoebe Serious Boxer

Yes i know but its Not the same i want clim the ladder with controls :) No with a path

18. FranciscoBala

FranciscoBala Avid Boxer

Would it be weird to say I dreamt about this simple question ?
    anyway, in my subconscious it worked :D

I'm supposing this is the sort of thing that MIGHT come on the next major update, whenever that is :)

19. Phoebe

Phoebe Serious Boxer

HAHA i think the same ;)

20. FranciscoBala

FranciscoBala Avid Boxer

I've literally just saw it on youtube, came here to update y'all and @Phoebe you've posted it , awesome :D