Case Study: Spy Hunter-like Game

Discussion in 'How Can I...?' started by appsushi, Feb 21, 2017.

1. appsushi

appsushi Boxer

Hi all,

I've posted a few specific questions but I thought this might be helpful as well. I wanted to ask what approach everyone would take if you were to try and replicate some of the basics of the old arcade game Spy Hunter (video here: ). Which game type would you start with? Your approach to bumping cars? Powerups such as in this game? Speed?

From my beginner perspective, I selected the Avoidance type to start out with. I changed backgrounds and added a speed to them to make them appear to be moving faster. I changed graphics and sounds for the various cars. Currently, cars are destroying the character but I plan to have some bump and others destroy. Speed is a problem getting things consistent. Also seems to be a problem having car enemies stay "on the road" if I give them a drift across lanes.

Basically, I just wanted to see how everyone would approach the challenges of this type of game. I might have picked one that's too difficult for a first game to replicate on Buildbox but wanted other's opinions.