Capturing Play Start And Game Over From Code (ios And Android)

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by EZKad, Jul 8, 2016.

1. EZKad

EZKad Avid Boxer

Hello,

I'm trying to figure out a way to hook/capture the play start and game over events from the generated code to insert custom routines.

I asked the support and they told me that they don't offer support for post-code editing :/

that's sad because some libraries and/or publishers will require to add specific code to those events (play start and game over events are very important), also, to correctly include analytics tools, those events hooks are mandatory !

does someone have any workaround for this ?

Many thanks

2. Dan F

Dan F Boxer

Yeah, get a fiverr account, and find someone there. That's most definitely the most cost effective, and fast solution. I even had a developer shooting a video walking me through the entire process of modifying my code to get the desired results accomplished.

3. EZKad

EZKad Avid Boxer

does the developer achieved this task ? (hooking custom code to play start and game over on android/ios) ?

I'm actually a developer, I don't have problem with code, but Buildbox don't seem to provide events to achieve such custom hook.
    I'm thinking of a possible solution but it's crap and overkill.

there are maybe hidden events or some simple workaround for this, something like the event rised for cusom ads network would be perfect.

4. Dan F

Dan F Boxer

My needs were less demanding, and he achieved the end result. I wanted to move the place of my banner ads from bottom to the top of the screen. But for custom code, I don't know though... Never had to do that yet, sorry

5. EZKad

EZKad Avid Boxer

yeah, changing banner place is not that hard.
    anyway thank you for your answers, will continue digging and if I find a suitable solution I'll share it.

6. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

That's a lot of trust you put into a developer you don't know. I rather would go to someone local. In the end you give him the entire project and he could (doesn't mean he does) copy your game completely because he has the source code now. If you contract someone on fiverr I would let him work at my computer with teamviewer or something. Never hand out the project of your game to someone you don't know or without a contract in place (like the one you will have with your publisher).

7. Dan F

Dan F Boxer

I usually try to learn the skill, so I don't hand over the end product, I give some simple generic version of the app, and I just check the implementation. Although, your approach via teamviewer is a great idea, so thanks Christoph!

8. EZKad

EZKad Avid Boxer

agree with you, another solution could be to give the developer an empty template with just the necceccary elements to apply the modifications, and ask him to document how he did it so you can reproduce it for your game.

in my case as I said, I can code, I just need to know the exposed interfaces by buildbox binaries so I can put my code in the right place.

9. smmsud

smmsud Boxer

Did you figure out how to insert custom code in the game over screen?

10. EZKad

EZKad Avid Boxer

GTE Games likes this.
  11. GTE Games

GTE Games Avid Boxer

@EZKad Great tutorial, I followed it fine. Looking forward to the follow up and getting interesting things working. Great way to add in analytics.

Thanks for sharing!

12. Benfont

Benfont Avid Boxer

hey @EZKad I followed your tutorial and got it working - I can now display the iToast messages on iOS, which is cool but what I really want is to add multiple leaderboards to my game. I have several worlds and I need a leaderboard for each world (using game center) / I have already added one using the single leaderboard line in the settings of BB. But I suppose there is a way using your hooks to add other leaderboards to the game.
    Also: how can we implement achievements too? I downloaded your game: Pixel Memories (which btw is pretty cool) and I saw you implemented game center achievements - a few of them (using the hooks I suppose). How can I do the same?
    How can I call the achievment url in the hooks? I have already set up several achievements in itunes connect but I am not sure on how to call them in xcode.
    Many thanks in advance for your help and thanks for the awesome tutorial,
    Cheers
    Jonathan