Can I? - Publish A Game With...

Discussion in 'Game Marketing' started by UpperCat, Sep 29, 2016.

1. UpperCat

UpperCat Avid Boxer

2. jcalle

jcalle Miniboss Boxer

I do not recommend it, it is free advertising to publicize your game and having more downloads.

Eventually the application will be removed.

It's as easy as the creator denounces the application.

I do not know, Apple are very restrictive in terms of this type of games.

3. volcank

volcank Serious Boxer

No never ever do that Unless you purchase the graphics from a graphic stock page etc. I am actually amused to see that how people easily publish games regardlessly using the sprite sheets from old arcade games and how Apple accepts it. I see they use sprites of Games like "Metal Slug" I guess I even saw Street Fighter 2 somewhere LOL! :)

4. spicedbeangames

spicedbeangames Miniboss Boxer

I am guessing here though - that the copyright on those older titles may not have been renewed or, cover digital goods if they haven't been updated.

I'm actually looking at an extremely old SNES game and the copyright has actually expired as the company who owned it, hasn't paid the fee to renew. When a copyright has expired, it falls into the public domain.

UpperCat likes this.
  5. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

a copyright falls into the public domain 70 years after the death of the creator. So believe me, video game graphics do not exist in the public domain.

6. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

Renewals effectively don't exist, they are automatic and don't cost anything.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_Renewal_Act_of_1992

Tread very carefully if you don't know the status of any IP. Only thing guaranteed by *US* law is that works before 1923 are in the public domain. Anything else is subject to certain conditions being met. Other countries may vary, but since Apple and Google are US companies those are the laws that generally apply unless the other countries have more restrictive rules.

Do your research, I am not a lawyer and I am not offering legal advice. :)

7. spicedbeangames

spicedbeangames Miniboss Boxer

Yeah I think UK law is a bit different. I remember when researching IP protection. Its a minefield! lol I thinking more about trademarks that are registered (my bad!)

8. UpperCat

UpperCat Avid Boxer