Buildbox 2.0 Manual Update

Discussion in 'Buildbox General Discussion' started by Andy, May 4, 2016.

1. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

Here is the updated manual for 2.0.0:
    https://www.buildbox.com/manual/

We are still working on refinements, but this is the first pass that is good for public consumption. :)

2. AndyG

AndyG Miniboss Boxer

Good stuff @Andy thanks for that :)

3. heathclose

heathclose Miniboss Boxer

Screen Shot 2016-05-05 at 12.49.44 PM.png
    unlimited points is completely inaccurate...

guttaavestudios likes this.
  4. mobile_gamegraphics

mobile_gamegraphics Boxer

Thanks! Been waiting for this one!

5. bentforktech

bentforktech Avid Boxer

6. Pandemonium

Pandemonium Boxer

I was waiting for this a whole month - now I see it's been released for 12 days :)

- Manual is important guys, stick this thread high and announce future updates of the manual - please :)

7. Pandemonium

Pandemonium Boxer

- general remark - almost all the pictures are blurry and making reference to them is pointless if you don't see what you're reading about.

page 10/11 - Gameplay Settings -> not clear enough, more example games needed (free games to be more precise) - also, links to screenshots of said games are not a bad idea.

page 14 - Group Layer -> what is this used for? examples...

page 17 - typo - Monitization -> Monetization

page 18 - Character Gameplay Settings -> Minimum and maximum values for these fields should be present in the manual. Also, examples of usual values in certain games is not a bad idea. PS - Can these min/max values be added on mouse hoover over the field in the actual software? PPS - some of these fields can use better explaining.

page 20 - Rotation Mapper -> explain further

page 21 - Ghost Jump -> mix/max values for all fields who work with numbers. This should be implemented all over tha manual.

page 21 - Character Icon -> only 2 options explained, there is a third option too - please add.

page 24 - Advance move on object custom components -> Linear velocity added to the Character ?? I assume Character needs to be replaced with Object. Same with Angular option beneath. Same with On Start. Also, Rotation mapper needs more explaining.

page 25 - Platform: this is a non moving object... - not correct - these object can move.

page 26 - Random factor: an amount between 0 and this value will be added to the basic value. -> but at what step/increment? If I make linear velocity of 5 and add random factor of 2 - my linear velocity vary from 5 to 7 but will it be 5/6/7 or 5/5.1/5.2/5.3...7.0 ie what is the increment here?

page 27 - Sleep Distance: again, what is the increment here. My BB1 experience tells me that this option worked in BB1 on 100, 150, 200 -- but not on 160, 170 etc. If you entered a 160 value the object moved same as 150.

page 28 - Kill All Enemies - well explained, but how much pixels are affected ahead? Like, in a randomized endless game, this can cause problems and destroy enemies 2 screens ahead in another level, which is problematic. Also, set/restart checkpoint are not explained well.

page 36/37 - lots of typos and sloppies - Position Type: - how will the particles will act...

page 38 - Logic - There is currently a single Logic item available. :) - no, there are 5.

page 51 - game scren options - some need more/better explaining - like why you have to have value for TimeWarp even tough Game Speed Min/Max is the same value IE you don't want to increase speed throughout the game. Also, deletion thresholds need to have clear range of values explained.

page 53 - loading bar - it has more settings than described.

page 60 - switch button - missing description, like where is this used.

page 61 - purchase button - there are literally fields left empty without any kind of explanation

page 73 - Lables, could be explained better / with more examples. Like, what are the key differences between coins and points, etc etc

page 75 - Polygon: collision box can have effectively unlimited points. - wrong, 8 points was maximum if I remember correctly.

8. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

@Pandemonium
    Thanks for the feedback, I have forwarded this on to the tech writer.