Build Box life time license for $1000 ?

Discussion in 'Buildbox General Discussion' started by mmo822011, May 6, 2016.

1. mmo822011

mmo822011 Boxer

Hi Guys

I hope this thread won't get admins upset. If so, I'm sorry for this. But, I just wonder in the event that BB2 has just been around the corner, the BB founders might consider opening a special event in short time for a one time payment sale off (I think $1000 for life time license). If so many people like this deal, maybe BB founders consider opening that special deal in short time. With this deal, founders might have more fund in short time to make BB, which is great now, even more great, and many other people might come join Boxers community. With large community of growing more and more everyday, we can open a market for BB templates or something.

What do you think, guys ?

2. wesam_badr

wesam_badr Miniboss Boxer

iam also with idea of decreasing price of BB a little bit or make a limited special discount for people that can't afford the current price however i don't think that's going to happened.

3. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

This doesn't make any sense because you pay 999 for a one year subscription. Lifetime would be something like 10x for a total of $9,999 at best. At a special deal $4,999 perhaps. A student license would be better for this purpose.

Anyway, I see it much more probable that the opposite is going to happen and prices are going to rise. The trial will be without the possibility to publish because a lot of low quality games made it to the app-stores (including the Buildbox icon in the loading screen). Not the best marketing. I can see it though that the trial is going to expand aka a free version is made available. People can develop their games without paying a dime and if they finish something really good they will purchase for sure at a (even) higher price.

4. mmo822011

mmo822011 Boxer

I mean the deal is a limited time offer. So, in a week for example, lots of customers who are now in $99/month will be converted to $1000 that might take a year to reach that price. And even more, many potential customers who are tight on budget will join. They might not if there is not that deal. And, to make a game is just not the engine. We also have to spend on the graphics, sounds, game play, time, and more.So, in 1 year, I guess there will be a certain amount of existing customers who will not be able to stay in the business as they don't generate enough profit to stay so it's good to convert them now to 1 year subscription. So, that's just my personal opinion, and I think it makes sense, :).

Last edited: May 6, 2016
  5. Qdeveloper

Qdeveloper Avid Boxer

Subscription is not the way i like for a creativity software, I feel this only work for anti virus or services like cloud that i believe how it might be fit, And to be honest i feel it's too much for a software to be 99$/mo, For a life license price I think it's totally fair for what it's give currently to be 2599$.

I'm all for a low cost indie version with limited export option or pay what you want module, And to have BB splash screen during the loading, Also having BuildBox for Steam would increase the audience if the price reasonable to compete with other competitor tools.

mmo822011 likes this.
  6. abdussadik

abdussadik Boxer

if it goes cheaper than price which is now active ($99/month), than it will hurt customers who already bought for this price, not respectful for active customers. Occasionally changing price is not good for marketing I think.

Qdeveloper likes this.
  7. mmo822011

mmo822011 Boxer

Right, for indie developers, it's too hard to succeed in the game industry. It's a "all or nothing" industry, nothing in between. And I guess, there's still a large amount of indie developers who are struggling out there. I also think $99/mo is somewhat hard for indie developers to stay in the business. Hope, there will be a limited time offer to make the life of idie developers easier. :)

Qdeveloper likes this.
  8. AppNasty

AppNasty Miniboss Boxer

Pffftt, I say they give it away 100 percent free, with ads lol. Would make sooooooo much more money it would be insane. Just as we do with apps, place ads in buildbox..make it free....it would turn out like flappybird or colorswitch.....100 thousand bucks PER DAY just off ad revenue.

mmo822011 likes this.
  9. mmo822011

mmo822011 Boxer

great idea :)

AppNasty likes this.
  10. AppNasty

AppNasty Miniboss Boxer

You know every kid would have bb installed then...and many people would flock over from other game dev software. How many schools would utilize bb for students....even elementary schools would use it. The world would be using buildbox. And with ads in it....I just about passed out thinking of lol the money they would make. It's a fail proof plan.

mmo822011 likes this.
  11. Qdeveloper

Qdeveloper Avid Boxer

Many alternative game tools out there that have the same BB purpose, To develop simple 2d games without programing with reasonable cost.

Any tool that prices ranged from 99$ to 599$, Would be out of the kids reach anyway, In fact I don't see any harm for kids to use such creativity tools, I believe kids using such a tool to express their creativity is more useful and actually more helpful for BB communities as whole.

Even you have developed a game using BB, You either need to manage the publishing yourself which also costly and harder for standard kids, For apple they sometime reject some apps for quality purpose, Or you need to pay attention for publisher companies.

I remember, GameMaker was considered a joke for many serious game developers and many people don't use it due to reputation back than, Yesterday the developer behind Hyper Light Drifter have been hired to join Square Enix.

Simply, It's not about the tool you use, Also is not about who are using the tools, But more about what you have made using this tool ! ;)

AppNasty likes this.
  12. AppNasty

AppNasty Miniboss Boxer

Bb introduces for the first time something completely new. Versus the other guys. Like trey said in his videos, it's all about simplicity and the interface. I let my 10 year old make his own little games with bb....he figured it all out after a few hours ad a couple of questions. They could make a kid version, loaded with kid images etc and push em out to schools. What I would love to see is a code editor in bb. Kinda how Dreaweaver, the web developer software does live code viewing and editing. Now that feature alone would help produce quality.

13. Brocky120

Brocky120 Avid Boxer

So what about all those who paid £706 for the year?

14. abdussadik

abdussadik Boxer

if child is interested in game development, the best idea is to teach him a mathematics, so he can learn programming later. if somebody knows how to code he can do many things that's impossible with BB.