Aspect Ratio Problems

Discussion in 'Buildbox General Discussion' started by Snow, Jul 25, 2018.

1. Snow

Snow Boxer

Hey, I have been building this game for about four months now, and I just have now encountered a huge problem when it comes to aspect ratio.

Like many others have already mentioned, it's impossible for me to have it working for ipad, iphone 5-8 AND iphone X at the same time, due to the extreme difference of aspect ratio from ipad to iphone x. I could have the game looking fine for iphone 5-8 AND ipad, OR iphone 5-8 AND iphone X, but NEVER for iphone X AND iPad at the same time.

And just to be clear, I am NOT talking about the UI buttons and anything a "stick to edge" and a bit of clever placing can solve.

My gameplay takes advantage of both width AND height, so if I set it "fit to width" it looks ok with iphone X but totally broken and uncomfortable on iPad, but if i set it to "fit to height" it looks fine on iPad but really messed and cropped on iPhone X.

So I have a couple of questions and I hope I won't have to exclude millions of potential devices for my game.

So, how can you upload two different builds on the appstore, one for iphones and one for tablets? I mean, it should be possible and pretty straight forward and would solve my problems immediately. It would be as easy as uploading a "fit to height" build for iPad and a "fit to width" for iphones and boom, problem solved.

Also, how can I set it so that the "iphone version" won't be available for download on iPad and vice versa?

And I also think it would be cool if BB3 had a feature where the game would recognize the device and act accordingly, so let's say, we could set it in settings that if it's an iPad it will be set to "fit to height" and if it's an iPhone it will be set to "fit to width". That way the app will be universal and the downloads won't be split between two different versions.

2. Tars Tarkas

Tars Tarkas Avid Boxer

Have you tried the Auto Screen adjustment? sometimes it works

3. GamerGhost

GamerGhost Boxer

Hello,

We have August 2019 and I have exactly the same problem with BuildBox 2D 2.3.8 and nothing including auto adjustment really works. To only (bad) solution is to use "fit to width" adjustment. However with this adjustment the UI in iPhone X is looking unprofessional (all in the center portion of screen). I will be forced to exclude iPad from my builds.

Is there any solution or new guidlines that I missed?
    It is a common tactic to exclude iPad?