Android 7 Performance/jank

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by cesisco, Dec 7, 2017.

1. cesisco

cesisco Boxer

Hi All, I’m new here.

I made an simple “flappy” android game test to see how Buildbox performs.
    The game is just a character and one or two obstacles per scene(I’m aware with all the optimization stuff)

Galaxy J5(Android 6):
    The game runs really smoothly even if I put some lights on the scenes.

Alcatel a3 Xl(Android 7)2gb ram:
    A lot of jank/lag, even without lights, and only one or two objects per scene.

I wonder if such a simple game runs so poorly in a mid-range device like this, probably it would be unplayable in older devices.

I should mention that installed other Buildbox games like “The Line Zen”, and I’m seeing the same jank, dropped frames in this device(I have two Alcatel a3 xl devices with this same performance)

I made a similar game with Construct 2/Cordova/Eclipse that runs smoother than this, just to compare with Buildbox.

Any chance of being a Android 7 issue, any clue or similar experience? Or any other thought about Buildbox performance.

Many thanks.

2. cesisco

cesisco Boxer

Ok, I'll put it in a different way.

In your experience it’s normal that every Buildbox game(even a simple flappy clone) runs with a lot of jank(dropped frames)/lag on two 2017 mid-range Android 7 devices?

I was just asking for an insight about Buildbox performance in general, not my particular problem.Thanks.

3. icatt23

icatt23 Boxer

I have come to this conclusion as well. Lots of short freezes and stutter on android devices when playing Buildbox games. Even when ads are not playing. Tested on HTC One m7 and Nvidia Shield.

4. cesisco

cesisco Boxer

Ok thanks for the feedback, it’s a pity, because I have two of these Alcatel A3Xl and only Buildbox games run very poorly on them.
    In the other hand my Samsung J5 runs Buildbox games very smoothly.
    It would be great to figure out if it’s a particular gpu/chipset, or other hardware combination that leads to the bad performance.

icatt23 likes this.
  5. icatt23

icatt23 Boxer

With that device it's going to be hard to get any games running smoothly unless you can code in c++ and keep things limited. Visual scripting adds extra layers of processes that budget mobile devices can't keep up with. But there are probably other factors as well. I've seen pretty basic games that should run smoothly on Nvidia Shield. However, the developer has to make sure the games are optimized as best as they can get it. I'm still navigating the Buildbox waters myself.

6. cesisco

cesisco Boxer

Actually I can play most of the games on this device, I can even play “Need for speed:no limits”, and my own games made with Construct 2 wrapped with cordova cli, and my Unity games run really smoothly on this device.That’a why I’m puzzled with it.

7. icatt23

icatt23 Boxer

Why did you switch to Buildbox from Construct 2? I was also considering Construct 2. What are your pro's and con's?

8. cesisco

cesisco Boxer

I didn’t switch from Construct 2, I just like to try different engines to see their strengths and weaknesses,
    C2 relies a lot on 3rd parties, like cordova plugins (if you use Cordova CLI to export),and if the 3rd party drop the support or doesn’t update it, you can do anything.
    But I don’t like to talk about other software on the competitors Forum J