About Resizing And Performance

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by volcank, Oct 19, 2016.

1. volcank

volcank Serious Boxer

Hi all I just started using buildbox. One thing is buggin my mind and that is the resizing of images. I used to make games using Construct2 and in that resizing a png game sprite whether enemy or player would exremely effect the performance. So I had to make resizing in photoshop like if 50x50 i did all resizing in photoshop and imported.
    Is the situation same with buildbox or can I just import a game sprite png sequence which is around 500x500 and resize it to 50x50 pixels inside buildbox. For now it seems buildbox is really powerful and can manage big sprites. I tested both apple and android but still curious and also scared a bit thinking resizing inside buildbox might create other problems later on.

Thank You.

2. playsgames6666

playsgames6666 Miniboss Boxer

Smaller the better, But not too small, if you scale up to much in BB its doesn't look as good.
    The bigger the sprites, means more atlases you will have, more memory strain on device.
    You really want too keep your atlases to about 2 or 3, for best performance. You can have more, but it also means a larger size game.
    Many users i think prefer downloads to be between 10 to 50 mb.
    I work on most of my sprites being about 200px by 200px. thereabouts.
    Backgrounds are the biggest thing to worry about, in my opinion.
    Some people just drop in a 1000x1000px image, but it takes up to much space, Better of having something around 200x200px,
    and add your background details as separate png's at 200x200px.
    all the best.

3. volcank

volcank Serious Boxer

@playsgames6666 Thank you so much. So doesn't Buildbox create a smaller sprite in the atlas once you change the size of the sprite inside Buildbox?? I mean scaling it. If I scale 500x500 to 100x100. You mean it still creates an atlas of that character with 500x500 pixels which will take extra memory yes?? I am just double checking on myself here :) Thank You Once Again!

4. playsgames6666

playsgames6666 Miniboss Boxer

Thats correct, whatever size you drop in, is the size on the atlas, I'm pretty sure anyway.
    When you export, open an atlas in photoshop an you can see how big they will be.

Christoph likes this.