Make A Ball Move Forced In One Direction?

Discussion in 'How Can I...?' started by Nelson4, Oct 16, 2016.

1. Nelson4

Nelson4 Boxer

Hey everybody!

I tried to make a ball character which moves to the right (not controllable) at a constant speed without it being affected by gravity.
    After messing around in the settings I still couldn't figure out how to do that, also if I can do that to the right I can also do that up, down,.. right?

Thank you for your time!
    Nelson

2. blad300

blad300 Serious Boxer

Use Choose your Character->Add Component->"Advenced move"->play with Linear and set it up "On start" . the your character will move right on start .

Christoph likes this.
  3. Nelson4

Nelson4 Boxer

Thank you!
    Do you also know if it is possible to make a button so when you touch it, the character changes direction (not affected by gravity).

Nelson

4. blad300

blad300 Serious Boxer

After you create Advanced move .
    Go in "World UI" drop in your World UI an "Character Button"->Function->Component Action .
    Go back to your Advanced move and select how Advanced move to start, and select your button.
    then when you press that button, is start Advanced move .

playsgames6666 likes this.
  5. Nelson4

Nelson4 Boxer

Thank you for helping out!

Now I can start moving by clicking the screen but can you also make it so everytime you touch the screen it will change 90° for example. I'm just trying to make a game like the old retro style snake.

Thanks for your time

6. blad300

blad300 Serious Boxer

7. kodagames

kodagames Avid Boxer

Check this tutorial out I think its what your looking for ;) but I haven't tested it yet.

Also the tread by @blad300 may help :)

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
    blackswan likes this.
  8. Nelson4

Nelson4 Boxer

Thank you for helping me out!
    I took a look at the other post and it is kind of what I am looking for but I also think you're not fully understanding what I'm looking for so I'll explain a little better with the image I made, posted below.

[​IMG]

If you press play, your character (red ball) starts all the way at the left (grey ball) and starts moving to the right with a constant speed of X.
    You cannot control this motion, however you can press the screen, which will make the red ball rotate 90° and go upwards (blue path).
    If you press again it will rotate 90° again (or -90° to go the other direction,depending on the level).

So in fact, you can rotate at any given moment when the ball is moving, you can press and make it go up, so you don't have to wait until a certain point to press it in this case.

Is this possible to achieve with BuildBox?

Thank you for your time!
    Nelson

9. Nelson4

Nelson4 Boxer

also @blad300 , the motor thing you posted is kind of what I am looking for but some mechanics are different as described above.

10. Nelson4

Nelson4 Boxer

Update: Just did some more tests which made me realize something.
    Is it possible to make the character rotate to a different direction every time? (press first time, rotate 90°, press second time, rotate -90°,...
    Maybe BuildBox is a little too limited for what I'm trying to do?

11. kodagames

kodagames Avid Boxer

Currently I don't think this is possible, the best solution I can think of is to use the swipe controls instead at least that way you could have the end user swipe in the direction you want them to go but then there's a hickup, the ball would only stop once colliding with a wall or setup a timeout on the same control (advanced move) to be able to swipe have the player move a few feet then swipe again and it would move the same distance again..

12. kodagames

kodagames Avid Boxer

I just had a thought I don't know if it will work but have you tried using an action button to change the gameplay direction?