Question About App Icon

Discussion in 'How Can I...?' started by vietzero, Jul 5, 2016.

1. vietzero

vietzero Boxer

I plan to release my app on the iOS appstore.

[​IMG]

Is this where I put the app icon image?

If so, what resolution should it be? Are there any basic guidelines I should follow when creating my app icon?

2. Phill Mason

Phill Mason Serious Boxer

Hi @vietzero it's best practice to put a hi res version of your icon in here, so when BB exports your game it has a fair chance of creating a nice sharp icon at the various resolutions. I usually drop in 1024 x 1024px icon, but you'd also be okay with a 512px icon too as I think the largest icon BB creates in the exported resources folder is 180px.

3. vietzero

vietzero Boxer

Hey @Phill Mason,
    thanks for the quick response. When I create my app icon, should I make it as a square or a rounded square (like what the app icons look like on the iPhone home screen)?

4. jcalle

jcalle Miniboss Boxer

Hello, I prefer with rounded edges.

5. Phill Mason

Phill Mason Serious Boxer

Doesn't really matter. If you put in a square icon (I usually do this) then Xcode will sort out the rounded edges for you when you compile it to test on your device or upload to the App Store.

6. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

I suggest you use a square image. There is no reason why you should use the rounded corners. Xcode will do that for you. And if you do it manually it is very very difficult to get the rounded corners right. Apple has its own algorithm to make them and if you do them in a Graphic program you won't get them right. There are some template makers but even the best are not 100% accurate. Also, you'll need the square image later in itunesconnect.

Andy likes this.