Screenshots & App Previews App Store

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Christoph, May 12, 2016.

1. heathclose

heathclose Miniboss Boxer

Here is a screenshot of the full hd full screen

Screenshot-1080x1920-2016-05-13-11.39.03PM.png

and this is why this is happening...

And before the forum roast begins, I'm well aware that I wouldn't be using widescreen screenshots of portrait games... but I guarantee that comment is coming... wait for it...

Last edited: May 13, 2016
  2. heathclose

@Andy This is also why earlier I posted https://www.buildbox.com/forum/index.php?threads/ipad-seems-bloated-now.3486/ because I've noticed the funkyness that ipad preview is giving... you can put an iphone 4 grid on a scene, see it on the 5, see it on the 4, and get the sides cut off on the ipad preview, even though iphone 4 dimensions are smaller than ipad dimensions... ipad preview is blowing things up, and I think it's related to the above video... the preview isn't holding it's scale or something... i dunno :oops:

edit: I just tested the iphone 4 grid on an ipad device and it gets cut off like the preview does... I must not be understanding how the dimensions are getting displayed on the devices cuz it doesn't make sense that smaller dimensions would be blown up and cut off on a bigger screen...

Last edited: May 14, 2016
  3. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

Not sure what you are doing and it seems there is a misunderstanding. Andy and I where talking about taking screenshots with the camera icon in the preview. This takes a full HD screenshot when you have selected the Full HD window. This works very well.

What you are doing is something completely different though. I didn't know you can double click the window. If I do that I still have the black sides and the stick to the edge elements travel to the edges like you say. It is not working the way like seen in your video. Actually it looks like it would look in an Apple TV, very nice. I'm using the latest version of BB.

If you have problems with the resolution/dimensions then I suggest you need to play with the Screen Adjustments in the Projects Settings. Your game is portrait for which I suggest you to use Fit to Height. This way, the height is always the same and Buildbox makes the screen wider. You'll see more of the gameplay UI when playing on a iPad - for example - and it probably will be easier to play on these devices. But at least your level design will work as intended and nothing gets blown up.

4. heathclose

:eek: oh... :eek: my....:eek: gosh... I have TOTALLY forgotten about that setting....:oops: :eek: :oops: ... :( .... *bounces forehead :mad: off desktop hard enough to spill coffee* ... *repeats :mad: hard enough to move things out of place*.... *again, :mad: hard enough to make things fall off the shelf*....:oops:... DUH... *pauses to think about :rolleyes: how bouncing his forehead off the desk that hard may be why he forgets settings :confused: like "fit to height"* ... :( *bounces forehead off table :mad: in punishment for bouncing forehead off desktop :confused: *....

and I have been round and round with that setting in previous projects in the past AND STILL never thought of that...

a few adjustments and it's golden...

thanks @Christoph for reminding me of this setting...:rolleyes:

comicsmathias, Christoph and Buildbox like this.